SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldy_gw

Fur coat Insurance

goldy
20 years ago

I have three fur coats that I have been paying insurance on for 15 years.Since the coats have out lived their ten year life Span should I continue to pay this insurance? I would like a quick answer the bill is due next month.Goldy

Comments (31)

• maxwell
    20 years ago

Why not donate them to the church rummage sale and get the tax write-off?

• cowboyind
    20 years ago

Call your insurance agent and ask whether your policy covers the furs at replacement cost, or whether you'd just get their current market value. If all you'd get is the market value, it's doubtful that the insurance makes sense at this point; on the other hand, if this policy covers replacement cost, the insurance might be worthwhile. You just have to look at what the insurance is costing you next to what they'd pay out to you if the furs were stolen or destroyed, and make a judgment as to whether you'd rather assume the risk yourself or pay an insurance company to assume it for you.

• Related Discussions

Old Fur Coats

Q

Comments (9)
    Check out Etsy. Do a search there for "vintage fur". It seems people are both selling vintage fur and also making things from it. Maybe list them there to sell, or contact one of the people who make things with fur to see if they want to buy them from you. It really depends if they are in good shape as garments. Maybe you can even combine the furs with each other or with other fabric or leather to make a coat that fits you. Karin L Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy - vintage and crafters marketplace
    ...See More

Turning fur coat (astrakan) into a throw?

Q

Comments (4)
    Google recycling a fur coat, or making a throw from a fur coat. Here's a site I found: Here is a link that might be useful: sew a fur coat blanket
    ...See More

Designers selling coats with dog fur trim

Q

Comments (8)
    That's why I won't wear fake fur. (That's one reason. I also think it looks as stupid as the dogs who were wearing wigs on Letterman. To me, a dog in human hair looks no more idiotic than a human in animal hair, But, that's another story.) When I was in Macy's a couple of years ago, I looked at some jackets that were labeled as faux. They felt waaaay too real and soft to be fake to me. I didn't trust them. Later I heard about the dogs and cats being used. I wasn't surprised. I think I read that you should never ever buy Korean faux.
    ...See More

Uses for old fur coat?

Q

Comments (27)
    Sue I inherited a lovely mink swing coat with the same problems as your coat. If the pelts are strong, so the fur is basically good (you can tell by brushing your hand over it to se eif there are any hard spots) it's easy for a furrier to remake it. My swing coat was cut down to deemphasise the swing, and the sleeves, which had fur inside of them as well because of their huge openings, were unfolded, steamed and then cuffs were made of the extra fur from the body and the sleves are now nice puffy sleeves on a fitted coat. You'd never now it was a Jackie O era coat :)
    ...See More
  • goldy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for your replys.I will read the policy and see what it says.My coats are 15years old but still good .They are like part of my family.Donate to charity?No way!! Who buys new furs at srventy four?I will either keep paying or take my chances.

• goldy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Call my agent and he all but told me the policy has outlived the coats and it was up to me if I wanted to keep the policy.They would only give me what they are worth and fur deprciate fast.Thanks for your advice Ican use the money elswhere.Goldy

• cowboyind
    20 years ago

I'm glad it was helpful, and I think you made the right decision. If all they are going to give you is the current value, the insurance is not a very good deal. Of course, in a case like this, since the furs have sentimental as well as monetary value, another consideration is that money couldn't really replace them anyhow.

• maxwell
    20 years ago

Goldy -- don't forget that you need to have faith. Go ahead and donate those coats. Who needs three of them, anyway, especially at age 74?

• jokar
    20 years ago

Or maybe consider donating them to PETA or your local humane society? They can use them in educational seminars teaching about the inherant cruelty that goes with the fur business.

Karen

• cowboyind
    20 years ago

Well, these are already dead, so PETA can't bring them back. And Goldy said they were important to her and had sentimental value, so I really don't understand the advice to give them away.

• maxwell
    20 years ago

In another thread, Goldy advised Alisande that the best way to budget her income is first to give 10% of it to the church. I thought maybe the same logic should apply to the fur coats.

• talley_sue_nyc
    20 years ago

maybe she already GAVE her 10% of her income to the church.

Even if you firmly believe in tithing (which I do), you are entitled to the 90% that remains, you know; God intends you to have it and use it. You're supposed to give 10% of your INCOME to the church, not 10% of all you own)

Goldy's problem isn't that she minds owning the coats. She loves owning the coats. Sorry, Karen.

• joyfulguy
    20 years ago

Hi, all,

... you mean, if I give God that 10% that some seem to think is required (which I think would be easier on annual income of $100,000. than of $20,000.) ...

... I can do whatever I darn well please with the rest?

Seems to me that if I am fully committed to serving God/Christ, I'd need to ask whether every potential use of each dollar in my/our/His/Her possession were appropriate from His/Her point of view.

And my time, talents, skills, etc., as well.

Which, of course, none of us does perfectly.

In a similar vein, I don't think that I should have a very different lifestyle on Sunday and through the rest of the week - seems to me that my life shuld be consistent, all of a piece, integrated.

Not part sacred and part secular.

Have yourself a great week, all.

joyful guy

• maxwell
    20 years ago

Karen

But who could possibly know what God intends anyone to have and to use? Ed (I believe he's an ordained minister) admits he doesn't. and I can tell you that I sure don't.

Or, as Alisande put it, some people "find faith and spirituality have so little to do with money that we find it hard to discuss both matters in the same conversation."

That makes so much sense to me that I believe I will officially withdraw my suggestion to Goldy. May she keep and wear those coats in peace and joy!

• talley_sue_nyc
    20 years ago

True, Ed, but trying always to follow God's will doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy the blessings he gives you. God does not require his followers to impoverish themselves or to deny themselves all enjoyment, even in material things.

The problem w/ enjoying material things comes when one ceases to recognize that they are a gift from God. And when the preservation of material things becomes one's goal.

Maxwell: You addressed your note to Karen, but I think you meant to address it to me? I ended my note "sorry, Karen" because I was addressing her concern about the fur trade, and PETA, etc. Perhaps you thought that was my signature. (I'm Talley Sue)

I agree, it's not that easy for anyone to know what God intends them to do w/ what he gives them. Therefore it's doubly hard for someone else to know what God intends for Goldy.

I'm glad you've retracted your suggestion.

I have a philosophy on the tithe, and how it realigns our values (where your money is, there your heart is also), and how the percentage business it intended to make it easier, and sorry Ed, but I do believe that God will make sure those who tithe don't suffer for it. Not necessarily that they'll be materially rich, but that they will have what they need.

I once gave a speech at my church about how tithing, for me, is a major express and confirmation of my faith in a living God who will intervene directly in my life when I need him.

(I do agree w/ Ed that part of how God blesses us is by giving us a brain to use in taking care of ourselves)

• maxwell
    20 years ago

You're right, Talley Sue. I got confused with the Karen business. Sorry.

Don't forget though, that it's also "doubly hard" for Goldy to know what God intends for Alisande, the actual point I was trying to make in my suggestion to Goldy.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Goldy, Are you there? Hope you had wonderful years since you started this thread. Just saw this thread. I don't pay insurance on my furs, don't have the expensive fur-sable/fisher/martin. I keep my furs with me all the time.

• bry911
    8 years ago

Really?!!

You resurrected a 12 year old thread in the household finances section to add nothing substantial.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Because I want to, and I can!

it's educational for other fur coat owners. If you have more than 10 years old furs, there is no need to pay insurance for them, unless you have a sable coat. It's an unnecessary expense. Fur is back. Goldy posted a very good question.

• bry911
    8 years ago

Then start a new thread...

It is bad forum etiquette to post to a 12 year old thread. This is not just because we don't like it, the reason is, that these forums are filled with individuals who have a desire to help out, trying to help an OP or add to follow up discussions that are 12 years old, can be very frustrating. These threads are very rarely still followed by the original posters or any of the contributors who responded. Goldy hasn't been on the forums in a few years and some of the follow up posters in more than 10. In essence it only creates annoyance for new posters, who in their hurry to help don't realize it is resurrected from many years ago, and ask follow up questions to those people or offer advice that is no longer needed.

Now if you have something substantive to add, such as a rule, law or standard practice change that renders much of the old advice obsolete, then an update can be reasonable or at least understandable. But just noting that you don't have insurance on your cheap furs and instead just put them in your trunk is not what I would consider a substantive contribution.

edited because I apparently can't type or spell on my tablet...

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

I don't think furs are cheap to start with, where did you get the idea I have cheap furs? And, I don't have a trunk. Calling my furs cheap, did that made you feel better? Or did that made you a better person?? You shouldn't bully people like that. A forum is for everyone to share their thoughts. That was my 1st post on this finance forum, I saw this thread was talking about 15 years old furs, even a $10,000 mink after 15 year, it won't worth that much for insurance, but if it's a sable coat, it's worth to pay insurance even after 20-30 years ( in good condition). I am new to the house finance forum, not new to the furs. I think it's allowed to post to an old thread, there is no lock on this thread. In our rose forum, we bring back the old threads all the time, it's educational for the new comers.

• bry911
    8 years ago

where did you get the idea I have cheap furs -

Maybe I looked at your first post - "I don't pay insurance on my furs, don't have the expensive fur"

As for the trunk - "I keep my furs with me all the time."

As for whether I feel better being mean or not. How did you feel when you wrote - "Because I want to, and I can!"? To be fair I was just mean because I wanted to and I can...

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

You didn't read the whole thing, I said "i don't have expensive furs-sable/fisher/martin", a sable coat can cost up to $100,000.

"I keep my furs with me all the time", that means when I go out in fur, I don't leave the coat in the coat room, I keep it with me. May be I should be a little clear on that......

My goodness, you need to grow up somehow and someday.

Have a good night

• bry911
    8 years ago

Yes because, nothing shows signs of maturity like, "because I want to, and I can!"

It doesn't matter how much your furs cost, it only matters that in your mind they are not worth insuring. Insurance on furs is fairly reasonable, and yet in your mind they are not worth paying insurance on. The only reasonable and non-childish assumptions are, you are either broke and shouldn't have your furs, you are a poor decision maker, or you don't consider them valuable enough to insure. I didn't want to call you poor or stupid.

"I keep my furs with me all the time", that means when I go out in fur, I don't leave the coat in the coat room..." - NO IT DOESN'T...I am not sure if words are an invitation to read your mind on your homeworld, but here on earth words have meanings. Often words have multiple meanings, we try to add clarity by surrounding them with other words. However, sometimes when we string words together they really don't mean what they say. Sarcasm and wit are examples of when meaning is different than what the words alone mean. For example, when someone says that you drive around with your furs in the trunk, or any other part of the car, he may not mean it literally...

• fraker
    8 years ago

Bry, I agreed with you in your first post. But in your follow-ups, you've shown yourself to be mean spirited and a bully. Let it go.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Bry911 has a fondness for getting into pi**ing contests just for the heck of it. He should heed his own words: "Yes because, nothing shows signs of maturity like, "because I want to, and I can!""

• bry911
    8 years ago

I am mean spirited...I find ignorance the most abhorrent of crimes, the refusal to inform oneself, a sin against existence.

People don't like being told they are wrong, especially when they are. I battle the blowback with scathing sarcasm, mean wit and occasionally crushing honesty. There is no need to point out that I am a dick, it is my overwhelming goal on this forum to be the two things people hate most - mean and right.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Oh, Bry911, You should change your name to LightningBoy, or something like that. Too much fire is not good for your health. I'd let it go at this point. Wish everyone to have a great Holiday season! Peace on earth.

If I were you I'd hold all the fire after the Holidays, and try some yoga to cool it down if you can bend your legs....or gym.

You're not a bad person, just the words came out of your brain were pretty harsh, you have a heart, and I saw it. You can be positive in life, it doesn't hurt you to try. I am a relater, I see more positive things out of people. You can change if you want to. Just hold back a little, rethink before you say it out. Good luck to you!

• bry911
    8 years ago

My internet persona is very different than that of my real life. So while I don't and won't claim to be a perfect person in real life, I also don't show much of the real me here.

I have often wondered why this is, and I think it is fairly typical today, but usually in people much younger than myself. Because my international work kept me far from home, I played a lot of multiplayer gaming, to connect back to English speakers. Multiple "faces" are fairly typical among gamers. That mild mannered, polite young man is going to tea bag you after a headshot on Counterstrike...

I did yoga for a while, but I prefer to find my zen through running. I try to do 5 miles a day with an occasionsl mini marathon.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

So glad to know you aren't a monster for real! Lol. Which country are you in? Do you see a lot of roses there? We'd be happy to see rose garden photos from other countries, it's educational. Would you please post some photos at rose forum (my home) if it's not too much trouble for you? Thanks and have a good day!

• bry911
    8 years ago

I am in the US now. Spent a lot of time in Dubai, Paris, and parts of Asia and Africa. I came back to America several years ago, but wanderlust is starting to kick in again, I am actually considering taking a huge demotion so I can travel again. To be fair, I have never been a big gardener - but the gardens in Dubai are sometimes breathtakingly beautiful. I will see if an English friend who is still there can get some photos for me.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Thanks Bry. You don't have to trouble your friend in UK, their growing season has pretty much ended by now. I only know Dubai is a fancy city filled with expensive cars. One of my friends went there for a visit. I'd have to google their roses.

Sponsored
More Discussions