SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worknathomemom

How to stop a creditor from calling every day

worknathomemom
17 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop a creditor from calling me every day (& in some cases two-three times a day)?? I have done some research & know that I can not send a cease & desist letter, since it is not a collection agency calling, but the collection dept. of the company we owe the debt.

Let me tell a little more about my situation. We got in over our heads w/ too much credit & not enough income to pay our debts. We have decided to get credit counseling & we are now on a debt management program. Most of our creditors are fine w/ this, since they will get some money.

The particular creditor mentioned above, is the exception. Every since we signed up w/ the debt management program (they did accept the proposal) they have been constantly calling us for additional money. In the begining, we referred the calls to our debt management company (as we were instructed to do) but they were absolutly no help.

Last month, we thought we finally made a break through. One of the team memebers in the collection dept. at the company we owe money too, made a three-way phone call that included my husband & our debt management company (phone call was recorded). It was agreed to by all three parties during this phone call that the only way to get the creditor off our backs was to go ahead & pay a one time extra payment in addition to the monthly payment sent to them by our debt management company. We were told during this same three-way call that w/ two payments sent in one month, it would bring our account to 30 days past due & the company we owe money to doesn't call to collect on only 30 days past due. We paid the extra payment. Shortly after the company received our extra payment, they sent us a letter thanking us for the payment, confirming our 30 days past due status, and that no more phone calls would be made.

After that, it took a total of 5 days before they were at it again & calling us at all hours. I was told during yesterday morning's phone call from the collections department that they were not even aware we were on a debt management program. This is bull, they signed the proposal sent by the debt management company.

I am fed up, and tired of explaining the story of what's going on each time they call me. I have asked on several occasions to please stop bothering me as we will pay only the monthly amount agreed upon. I can not place a block on their phone number w/ the telephone company, because when the collections dept. can't get ahold of me they call up my parents & ask them for "a good contact number", but don't disclose to them why they need the number. I have asked the collections dept. not to call my parents any more, as they have nothing to do w/ my debt. But still, when they can't get ahold of me they call my parents again. So right now my only option is to talk to them every day (& sometimes more than once a day) in order to prevent them from "not getting ahold of me".

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Comments (25)

Sponsored
More Discussions