Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you paying for Heating Oil this year??

Posted by terrene (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 9:47

For those of you who live in places with cold winters, and use oil to heat your house, I'm curious what you're paying for heating oil this winter.

Did you arrange for a payment plan or a prepayment plan? Do you have a cap on the price of your heating oil?

Usually I just go along with the cap program that my Oil Company offers in the Spring, that includes a cap fee of about $40. NO prepayment, I pay month to month. This has worked very well for the past few years.

This year was a little different. They didn't offer the usual cap program. The owner was very concerned about the volatility in oil prices. Back in August, he offered his customers the crazy option of capping at $2.299/gallon IF the price of a barrel of oil hit $60 before January 1st. (He also had some other more conservative options.)

I decided to go with this option, which had me checking the price of oil on the Mercantile exchange. Prices went under $60/barrel yesterday!

So I am capped at $2.299, or will be charged the floating price, whichever is lower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you paying for Heating Oil this year??

I got a contract to pay $228 a month from July 2006 to June 2007, not sure it's a good deal, but at least it fits my budget. No surprises come January!

o

We pay $0.739CDN/litre, floating price as of last week. We pay as delivered.

o

When I filled up last month I paid 2.22 gallon. I only fill oil tank twice through the winter so I will just shop around when I need more.

o

I never lock in, cap, or prepay. Only pay market price. Paid US$2.299 a couple weeks ago. However, I use only about 500 gallons per season. If I used more, I might consider other options.

o

My oil company is currently charging $2.45 a gal delivered.

o

Nothing - so far.

Fuel people told us that they wouldn't deliver any more oil till we have our furnace, chimney and oil tank inspected.

It seems that oil tanks over 10 years old are taboo.

Landlord says his is well over that - but he painted it up to be nice and shiny.

Passed inspection.

We should have done that with mine - as it didn't. Cost about $1,100.00.

New tank installed a week or so ago, oil co. called to ask how we were doing, (but they need paperwork before they'll deliver) I said have about 5/8 of tank ...

... so won't need oil for a while.

But I'm keeping the thermostat low. With a small electric heater fan aimed at the chair at the computer and another in the bathroom (as I dislike sitting on a cold seat: don't envy our ancestors who had to visit the outhouse in mid-winter).

Who said that life is tough for us - next time you attend a classic car show, ask an owner of a Model "A" Ford, which came out in 1930, where the heater is ...

... and listen to him/her laugh - there wasn't any.

Have a lovely holiday, everyone.

ole joyful

o

0. Natural gas is $2.01/therm, the highest in the US. My boiler od selected to OFF as I burn free wood from many new homesites. Not to bust on energy, I have made a bundle in the past three years (ENPIX) if you like mutual funds.

o

We received 125 gallons on 12/5/06; $2.25/gallon. As the price of gasoline rises, so does heating oil and I expect it will be more money the next fill up.

We have a 25-2600 sqare foot home on 5 heating zones. Relatively new construction, fully insulated with 6" stud walls. We suppliment the use of oil with a woodstove (cut and split our own wood).

December has been 6-7 degrees above average all month, so that's a savings right there. I am thankful we didn't lock in the prepay price in August; heating oil was closer to $2.40/gallon at that time.

o

We heat w/ propane. Tank was last filled in late October at $1.83/gal. That's in North Central Oregon & of course subject to increase over the past two months.

I think our gasoline is one of the nation's highest rates but Oregon has quite a bit of tax on it's gasoline.

o

Just got the bill for the tank at Mum's home in northern NH. 127 gallons for $2.40/gallon.

o

We paid $2.11 a gallon for last weeks oil delivery. In years past we had shopped around and signed up for a program that capped the price. The last couple of years we haven't though. It has worked out cheaper that we didn't have a cap through an oil dealer. When they started emailing us about their plans something just didn't sound right about it at the time. They were offering higher capped prices than the current gas/oil prices at the time. All with the "warning" that prices were just going to keep going up and up. We didn't buy into that scare tactic. Compared to the majority of our friends that did lock into a price we are doing much better then they. The oil company will not let them out of their contract. They are all paying around $2.54 a gallon and they are kicking themselves for doing it. NancyLouise

o

I'm in NY - just had a delivery at $2.59 gallon. Companies have not been willing to cap for the past two years. Man! It wasn't that long ago I was paying $1.01!

o

nancylouise have your friends check TheBostonChannel.com
and email Susan Warnick. Susan recently did a piece on this (WCVB Channel 5 Boston) on folks who locked in Summer 2006 at $2.69, and how to get out of the contract. Hope that this helps.

o

Just filled up today @ $2.34...cheaper than the highest last year!

o

Nope bushleague, They haven't contacted anyone except the oil companies themselves to see if they would lower the price or let them out of their contract. The response our friends recieved was the oil companies bought a certain amount of oil at that price from their distributors or whom ever they get the oil from. They contracted for that price so our friends have to pay the oil price they contracted with the local oil companies. I didn't know Susan did stories outside of the Boston area. I'll let them know about her and see what they want to do. Thanks for the heads up. NancyLouise

o

Haven't bought any - yet.

When I talked to the people that tested our system a while ago, about getting the certification, I think that it was about 87 cents/litre.

Multiply by 3.85 to convert to U.S. Gals, about 1.18 for exchange.

Tank must be getting low - haven't got certification, yet.

It moves down a bit more slowly than usual, as I keep thermostat low, with heater fan directed at computer chair. I can move it easily to aim it at the chair that I sit in when, infrequently, I watch TV. But that's not so necessary, as I have a nice blanket that covers me when needed.

Much cheaper than fuel oil.

Just checked the tank - it's almost empty.

Guess that I need to make a phone call to the certifying agency - like, this morning??

Thanks for the, "Heads up!", folks!

ole joyful

o

After reading the other responses, I think we were foolish to lock in with a cap of $2.89. I also think that was the cost of our last fill-up. We live in south central PA.

We are on a budget plan with 10 equal payments which also includes an extra charge for "keep full" service, yearly servicing, and replacement costs for a new boiler, should our present (29 year old) one fail.

I am horrified at what our monthly fuel bills are. We have saved quite a bit on our oil bill by going to a tankless hot water system but there is the increase in our propane bill to pay for that.

Nancy

o

Oil delievered today - first in about a year, I think.

856.9 litres X $0.839 = $$718.94 + tax $42.14 = $762.08 X exchange about $1.18 = $899.25

856.9 litres X 3.85 litres to U.S. Gal = 222.57 U.S. Gals.

That's $4.04/gal, right?

First bill in a long time, though.

"One should be thankful for small mercies," my Grandma used to say.

ole joyful

o

Oil delivery yesterday was about 3 o'clock.

About 9 p.m. I thought that it felt cold in here.

It was - about 60.

Furnace had quit.

I tried the restart button - it ran for about a minute, then quit. Tried it several times - same result.

When they installed the new tank, they put the feed line up under the joists (there'd been a copper line under the concrete, before).

I thought that likely there was an air lock in the line, and opened a couple of places, sucking some air out using a plastic hose. Tried the "Reset" - still no dice.

Called the landlord this morning, he was with father in hosp. - his father died this morning.

When he called in the afternoon, I said that with three electric heaters, both the dog and I could get along O.K. (as it's to be mild for a few days), so he planned to come tomorrow morning.

Late this afternoon he and a friend came - didn't want me to be suffering discomfort.

Opened the lines, got some dirty looking fuel out by sucking, but not supply from tank, so got air compressor and pushed air into tank through filler tube ... that pushed fuel up under joists, down to filter, got the crap out of the line.

Reassembled the lines, bled the pump, pushed the "Reset" button ... and the fire started. So I guess the crap hadn't plugged either the filter or the nozzle.

So - daughter's female canine and I are both comfy again.

I ran out of the canine's pain meds on Monday, went to three vets looking for refill.

Had to have consultation, couldn't write prescrip. without seeing dog (about $66.) plus about $75. for small bottle prescrip. - think that last one lasted about 5 weeks. No guarantee doc. would prescribe, unless saw need - but then they sugg. the vet in Toronto fax them info. about the dog's need for that med.

Second vet not open Wed.

Thursday visited 3rd vet (the one Uncle used) in a different direction - consult'n. necy., $55.

Revisited the vet closed Wed, older vet, didn't request consult'n., pumped me a small bottle of med from a bigger one, changed me $60. for about 1/3 - 1/2 more than daughter got, for I think son said about $60., at her vet in TO.

So the dog is happy on that front, again, as well.

When it's mild weather, she loves to explore around here, nose to the ground, for an extended period.

She loves to climb on my knee, too - a dachsie, "limo dog", stretched out over your lap, sometimes with nose over keyboard, or sitting in the crook of one arm, tends to interfere with one's keyboarding and mouse work.

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here