SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Stepmother won't return family heirlooms

barbcollins
12 years ago

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place but here goes.

My father passed away earlier this year. We have a strained relationship with my stepmother. I have called her a couple times to ask her if there was anything I could do to help, and she always said she would let me know. I never hear from her.

I called today and asked how she was etc. I then brought up the subject of some items that belong to my Dad & Mom that I would like to have. She then exclaimed "like what?".

I told her about the following items:

1. Dad's boy scout uniform which I know he had when he moved there (she she says she has never seen it).

2. My Great-Uncle's (on my mother's side) cigar box (which she didn't know what I was talking about until I said where it it sitting on my Mom's old desk).

3. My Mom's china which was her mother's, which is in my Mom's antique corner cabinet.

There are many of my mother's antiques which I did not bring up, and had decided to not "push" on.

She then scolded me for "slamming her", and asked why don't I come down there and take "EVERYTHING". She over exaggerates about many things.

After a couple minutes of hearing things like this, I calmly asked her to think about my side of it. Th china and the box were things that MY MOTHER wasnted me to have. How would she feel if someone had her Mother's family heirlooms and won't give them back. She then hung up on me.

Was I asking too much? How would you proceed. My sister suggested I send her a letter so I have something in writing, but I'm not sure how or if I should proceed.

What would you do?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area