Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
value and loans maxed out home not finished

Posted by jubileej (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 5:35

Due to major, major overhaul of home,(we had tried unsuccessfully for a year to sell it as a tear-down) our funds are running out and the home value is maxing out. However, we have practically rebuilt it structurally and being able to finish well would boost home value to a new level. Should I take out a construction loan? We will want to be selling within a few years due to becoming empty nesters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: value and loans maxed out home not finished

Are you sure that "being able to finish well would boost home value to a new level"? That may have been true even 10-12 months ago. But the housing market is flattening like a pancake. I don't know where you're located, but you may be surprised at how home prices have moderated or even dropped a little . If it's been a while, you may want to have some comps (re)done to see if you'll still get out of the house what you hope to.

Assuming that you have not now lost value on the likely selling price, I would seriously consider what you have left to do and what must be done. Obviously functional issues need to be addressed. But "nice to haves" may wait or may never happen. You don't want to put money into this house unless you can get more than your investment out of it, and putting a short "finish-it-and-sell-it" timeline on it does not help the return on your investment.

One other consideration other than a construction loan: if you're moving to a different house, what about a bridge loan? It might come cheaper; it doesn't sound like you'll need to use the money over several months.

o
RE: value and loans maxed out home not finished

Thank you, Steve - sounds like excellent advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here