Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a good rate on a HELOC these days?

Posted by zanna3 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 22:56

Hello all --
I currently have prime minus a quarter, but am looking to get a new, larger HELOC since my home value has gone up. Have been offered prime minus a quarter again on the new loan, but is that good or just so-so?
Thanks much,
- Zanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a good rate on a HELOC these days?

I'd say that's good. We're at prime flat. Who is your lender.

o

The old loan is through Indymac (originally through Eloan), but I could go anywhere with the new loan.

o

Zanna3, once you find a lower rate, be sure to tell your current lienholder *in person* that you are thinking of moving to another HELOC. Often times, they will better, or at least match, a competitor's quote, particularly if you have been a good customer (i.e. used the line and not been seriously delinquent).

o

Our lender is National and we're at prime minus one percent.

o

Zanna 3,

On my LOC, fully secured by stocks and mutual funds, the rate they quoted a while ago was 6.25%, but the Bank of Canada put their rate up 1/4 point the other day, so it's likely 6.5% now.

I haven't used it for some time. Haven't shopped around for competitive offer, either, as I don't plan to use it soon.

Do they charge you set-up and/or appraisal fees, or a fee if you let it sit unused for a period? They haven't me.

I don't mind borrowing for purposes of investment that I feel has a good posibility of increasing my assets, when I think that conditions warrant.

But I rarely borrow for consumer goods or activities, as it seems to me that suggests that I'm living beyond my means. I don't like contracting to pay next year for stuff that I wanted this year but couldn't afford to buy using current income.

That makes a double whammy on next year's income, for I have to pay for stuff that I ate this year. Plus I have to pay the guy who owned the money for the privilege of using his, for a while.

I claim that I can borrow to invest in quality stocks (or some other assets) for, frequently, almost no net cost.

Good wishes as you find more effective ways to manage your money.

ole joyful

o

I'm in the process of getting an HELOC through Bank of America. I was told that once all purchase for the project are completed, I can lock in at the current rate at the time.

Also, with HELOC, BoA allows you to use for home repairs whereas a Home Equity Loan only allows for home improvements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here