SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myfask

For those that have 'see ID' on the back of Credit cards

myfask
17 years ago

Mnay people write "chedk Id" on the back of their credit cards instead of signing them. I found this article on bankrate.com.

What allot of you may know is a retailer can refuse to take the card.

I have attached the whole article below but here is the excerpt that advises they could be refused.

Karla

"As for the idea that not signing your card makes you less vulnerable to ID theft, Hopkins says simply that the practice is "urban folklore. If you write 'See ID' in your signature panel, the card is not considered valid and merchants are not supposed to accept it. If cardholders want to write that with a marker on the back of the card, that's all fine and dandy, but they should still sign the card."

MasterCard's Web site instructs merchants that "the back of the card must be signed, and the signature should reasonably compare to the cardholder signature on the sales receipt. Check to be sure that it has not been taped over, mutilated, erased or altered in any suspicious manner. The word 'Void' on the signature panel indicates that the signature panel has been tampered with."

Here is a link that might be useful: signing credit cards

Comments (13)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions