Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you found yourself cleaning more than usual?

Posted by devorah (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 20:38

I have been very busy cleaning my office, sorting papers, throwing away outdated warranties etc. Today I had lunch with friends and we discovered that we were all doing this. Our best guess is that with the economic climate so haywire, and nothing we can do about it, we straighten up what we can. Have any of you found yourselves similarly occupied?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you found yourself cleaning more than usual?

It's really funny that you should mention this. I spent a good four or five hours cleaning on Tuesday and I spoke to a friend of mine today and she said that she spent the majority of her weekend cleaning out her office, filing and organizing...maybe you're on to something.

o

I think you are on to something. With so much of my life feeling as if it's spinning out of control, it's somewhat comforting to create order out of chaos, even if in just a tiny corner of my world. In addition to cleaning and organizing more, I've just splurged and bought 150 flower bulbs - all the budget will permit right now - as sort of a tangible expression of optimism that we'll be here in the spring to see them bloom.

o

I wish! I've been making more excuses for NOT cleaning and using my free time for knitting.

o

Yes, I certainly have been....cleaning closets, cabinets, and generally "digging".....had a huge garage sale and got rid of so much "stuff".....looks great to be able to open closets/cabinets and see empty places. Also, I think it is fall...cooler weather and have more energy.

As the old saying goes, "You spend the first 40 years of your life collecting things, and the next 40 getting rid of them"....sure seems to be happening to me....and it feels good!

o

I consider what you're referring to, to be "sorting" or "organizing".

To me, "cleaning" is vacuuming, dusting, washing floors, walls, windows, etc. ...

... and I was going to say, "No - but I should be".

There's this dust under the bed, you see.

And some garden dirt lying front of the sink where it droppped a couple of days ago, when I came in a while after rain.

Portrait of my kids, above the computer ... sporting a dusting of dust.

As for the sorting and filing - there are a lot of papers (and a myriad of other stuff) lying here and there that need to be organized, as well.

I lost my wallet for a couple of days, last week - turned up in the pocket of a pair of pants!

And, it being daylight, I'd better go pick tomatoes, broccoli, squash, beans, beets and turnips to take to my two churches.

Fresh.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

P.S. Yes - I call your tasks as reported, "cleaning", also.

o j

o

Yep. This is pretty typical for me. Growing up (and still) my mom has always been one to say, "When everything feels like it's beyond your control, do what you can that is within your control." In the days after 9/11, my mom washed and/or polished every piece of glassware, silverware, porcelain, etc. in her house.

I haven't been doing it so much this time, but am still doing more than usual. After my dog died a while back, I went crazy and decluttered/cleaned like you wouldn't believe. It was a tough time.

o

Interesting. Cleaning and keeping your living space orderly is part of drug abuse rehabilitation therapy - for the reasons quasifish's mother said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here