Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tax deductions for car/phone

Posted by likry (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 20:22

I am contemplating a job that will require using my car(home nursing visits). My question is if I buy a new car, as my present one gets terrible mileage, is any portion of the payments tax deductable-federal or state? I live in New York. I would be getting a mileage reimbursement of about .40/mile.

What about cell phone payments? I would need to call my clients before visiting to make sure they remember the appointment.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tax deductions for car/phone

These are questions you need to ask your tax person. Because you could/would use the cell phone for non business use, it could be only part of it would be a tax write off. Also consider your home. Are you using it for keeping records etc. Your computer also.
Also consider the upkeep of the car and because you get reimbursments that will figue in.
Good luck

o
RE: tax deductions for car/phone

I agree. Call your accountant now--before you actually start the job--to find out exactly what is allowed, what isn't, and what records you need to keep. If you don't have an accountant, I'd look for one well-versed in tax accounting. A reputable accountant might not even charge you for that kind of advice, as long as he feels you'll be coming to him to have your taxes done at the end of the year.

It is true, if you work from home, or use your home/phone/cable, etc in your work, you can deduct portions of many of those expenses. If you don't have retirement benefits at your job, you also want to look into setting up a SEP account at the end of the year--that's a good tax deduction, AND a way to fund your future. Good luck with the new job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here