Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GMAC Bank

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 19:49

I saw yesterday that GMAC banks are offering 4% for 6 mo.
and 4.25% for 12 months CDs....to me, this sounds good for FDIC insured CDs. Does anyone know anything about GMAC...and have you ever done this on-line? I would rather deal with a person face to face, but do not know of a GMAC bank near here. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GMAC Bank

I just opened a CD with them last week - got the paperwork in the mail today. So far so good - they transferred my opening deposit from my regular bank without a hitch. GMAC headquarters is actually pretty local to me, but I've never been to one of their banks. They had a 4 star rating on bankrate (for financial soundness) so that's why I went with them. There were a few banks paying slightly more interest, but I'd never heard of them and their ratings weren't that great.

A few years ago, I opened a CD at Amtrust Direct. That was done totally online and everything worked fine. It was a bit of a pain getting my money back out at the end - I had to send an email request to an address I had to get by calling the customer service line, and they ended up charging me $25 to wire the money to my bank account (I could have had a check for free but they didn't tell me there was a fee to wire the money until afterwards.) Hopefully GMAC will have their act together a little mrore when it comes to getting the money out. I figure if worse comes to worse, I'll track a branch down locally and go get it in person.

o
RE: GMAC Bank

Thanks for this info.....so good to know that they are financially sound. I have asked them to send me the paperwork to put a CD with them.....hope it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here