Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Link: Portfolio Strategies for a Shaky Market (article)

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 19:37

I posted this in the Retirement forum, but this forum seems to get more traffic. I thought a link might be helpful. The article discusses how the timing of when you start your portfolio withdrawals is important: not age, but the state of the market at the time you begin.

Here is a link that might be useful: US News & World Report article: link to posting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Link: Portfolio Strategies for a Shaky Market (article)

What this article really says is that in order to achieve above-inflation returns, you have to take risks, and one of those risks is that the value of your portfolio might decline for a while. If that happens, and you keep spending money as if it didn't happen, you might run out.

This situation is no different from what it is if you're living off the results of your labor instead of from your investments. If you lose your job, and keep spending money as if you still had it, you might run out.

In both cases, the answer is to scale back your spending during temorary periods of ill fortune.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here