SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenj_gw

refinancing to save $$- is it too good to be true?

ellenj
17 years ago

We have a bunch of loans/credit cards with outstanding debt that we would like to pay off. I guess we are in that never ending interest trap that will go for ever. I am trying to start with a clean slate (no more cc, no more loans). I have a goal of payoff in about 3 years.

Here's the financial senerio: We make about $85,000 a year (plus a yearly bonus but it varies so I don't count it). Our home was purchased about 18 months ago for $140,000 and is currently valued at 225,000. We owe (not suprisingly for such a short time) 137,000 on the house. We have just a hair under $35,000 in credit cards, car, and unsecured loans. All have an interest rate of 8.00% or higher.

We contribute the max to our 401K's. We only have one car now as my husband recently was promoted and got a company car so no expenses there. His old car (10 years) is being put up for sale this week. We only expect about $3000 from that.

Should I refinance our house and pay everything off with a 30 year fixed? Seems weird to refinance the mortgage as our rate was 6.00% and its up a bit now.

Using a home equity line of $35,000 showed our bank at a rate of 7.19% for 5 years at a payment of 703.52. For all these things now we are paying $1780 and going no where.

Help analyze me please! By the way I played the Powerball again just in case!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions