SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Severance pay for household help

myrtle_59
12 years ago

I am looking for some outside opinions. For 20 years a woman who is self-employed - has her own business has cleaned my home once a week. She does all the work herself but is also her own boss. For many years she was here every week come hell or high water and depended on the money she made cleaning. In the past few years she has been more involved in other pursuits but still cleans and can still use the money. She does call off frequently. I like this person personally and consider her a friend as well as the person who cleans my house although we do not see each other outside this relationship and probably won't in the future.

I am now retired and not going to go back to work. It is time for me to clean my own house. So what about severance pay? I will give her some for sure in lieu of notice. I'd like to say I would give her a week for every year but that is not in the budget. I pay her $60 a week for what was once 6 hours and is now 2 hours. What do you think is in order here. I know nothing is 'required' as she is not my employee, she is self employed but I want to hand her something to help out.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions