Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Homeowners/Auto Insurance

Posted by debr (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 18:08

I am currently using Allstate for my 2 autos and homeowners policies. I am looking to switch to another company-Allstate seems to be getting more and more costly and the last time I filed a claim under homeowners it was not an easy process to collect from them. Does anyone have any suggestions-I am currently looking at State Farm and Liberty Mutual. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Homeowners/Auto Insurance

You might consider looking at an independent insurance broker.

We had State Farm for over 20 years (home and auto). The premiums just kept going up and up. I finally shopped around, getting quotes from both the big companies and brokers. We saved (overall) nearly 300/year by switching. A few years from now, if our new company (Safeco) keeps doing the same thing, I will shop around.

We had one claim with State Farm and it was not a pleasant experience.

o

Ameriprise through Costso.
Cheapest I've seen.
Had one auto claim (100% not my fault). No problems, smooth. Auto rates dropped next renewl

o

Just switched back to Amica after originally being with them for over 15 years-they went high-switched to Ameriprise through Costco for about the last 8 years- which is now IDS for auto. Last week made "the calls' and ended up back at Amica. Amica just adjusted their prices and they are now lower, for what we wanted, than IDS. They said they adjust about one time a year-so we will call again and check in a year! We have learned over the years that you need to shop around and check your rates frequently.

o

We had State Farm for over 20 years (home and auto). The premiums just kept going up and up. I finally shopped around, getting quotes from both the big companies and brokers. We saved (overall) nearly 300/year by switching.

Ditto. State Farm customer for 20 years and saw the premiums keep going up even though the houses and cars and I all were getting older and they had paid out only once (minor accident). When I left, I didn't even get a phone call from anyone at State Farm (not even my agent) wondering why a good 20-year customer left. Don't let the door hit you, guys....

I'm now with American Family and saving a bundle over what SF was charging. But I do watch and I do shop around, and, if AF starts getting unfriendly, I'm elsewhere.

o

We have MetLife for home and auto. When we switched last year from Liberty Mutual, our auto premiums dropped by 30%. We've also had Allstate, State Farm, and Harleysville. AS and SF were by far the most expensive and least customer friendly.

o

Wow, I didn't even realize that there were options thru Costco and Metlife, etc. I will certainly look into these options as Allstate premiums are thru the roof. Thanks, everyone.

o

We have Farmers Insurance Group and have had since my husband was a young man, even the same insurance man. We haven't had a claim in a long time, but when we did there was none of this, "heres a check for a down payment on the repairs, we will pay the balance when the work is done." They just wrote us out a check for the damages. We have our auto, home and an Umbrella Policy with them and never had a problem.

o

We've had pretty good treatment with State Farm. They are also about the only ones doing earthquake policies here. Which I consider essential. We also have 11 policies with them, which helps our rates. I was irritated with our agent once and my DH called him and said "Make nice with her or we change to a different agent." He called. Made nice. I'm still going to changed to a different State Farm agent, though. I shouldn't get a call only because the DH makes him do so.

Gloria

o

Another satisfied Amica customer. They've insured me since I was 18 yrs. old. And they've had the policy on our home for the past 16 years.

o

try grange, went from allstate to grange a few yrs ago, better coverage, at 2 3rds the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here