Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Administrator of a will - anybody know about this?

Posted by Judith (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 03 at 17:00

I have recently found out that a relative of mine has named me as the administrator of his will. He lives about 1,000 miles from me and I cannot go there when he dies. What will I have to do? Can I get out of this? The person who named me as the administrator has deteriorated mentally and now they can't change it. I cannot leave my home and all of my animals to go 1,000 miles away and I don't have any idea about any of his stuff. I don't know anybody there and I know nothing about the city he lives in. I have a horse that has a terminal disease and I have other animals who need daily medical attention. I have no one that could help me if I had to go out of town. I want out of this responsibility. What can I do? Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Administrator of a will - anybody know about this?

Does the person have a lawyer? Or you could talk to the person's bank trust admistrator. Is it in the same state?
You might talk to your bank's trust department to see if they have a branch in the area. Do you know why they did this, and if there is money/property involved.
Good luck
Marie

o

I don't know who his lawyer is and I don't know what bank he uses. I really don't know anything about his finances or any of his investments. Yes, there is money involved and a house and some vacant land in the state that he lives in. He put me as administrator because he doesn't trust the people who are close to him there, his common-law wife who has her grown children wanting this man's property for themselves. This man's own 2 sons are hopless alchoholics and so is the person who put me on his will as administrator. He is in his mid 70s now and in failing health. This is really worrying me because someone told me that there is no way I can get out of it once he dies. I was not asked if I wanted this responsibility and was not told until recently that I was put down as the administrator. The person has failed steadily for the past 3 or 4 years and I'm afraid it won't be long until he dies. Thanks for any information. Judith

o

Apparently he lives in another state so that might cause a problem. I would go to your bank and talk to the branch manager and ask him/her to inquire about any banks in the area.
You also might have to obtain a lawyer, but remember all the fees for the lawyer and you acting as administrator would come out of the estate. Maybe that lawyer could find out who your relative's lawyer is.
Wish I could help you out more.
Don't forget their will be taxes to be paid, both state and IRS. Also the lawyer could check on the common law wife. In some states she could inhert property, etc, if she can prove they have lived together for a certain time space. You might post this on the kitchen table forum as there are alot of very knowlegable people there.
Sorry I was not more help.
Marie

o

I worked in estate law for several years. You are not required to be the administrator/executor of a will, you can decline and the courts will appoint someone.

o

I would recommend that he get a third party lawyer to be administrator. I think a lot of people are not aware you can do this. I had to settle two estates last year (I was not executor of either) and it would have been a good idea as the people who were executors did not do a great job and there were hard feelings.
Sounds like this could happen in your case.

o

Thank you all for your advice. The person who has made me the administrator is in failing health and is an uncontrolled alcoholic. He doesn't even know what is going on most of the time. I used to talk to him on the phone but have given up on that because he is almost always in an alcoholic stupor and when he isn't, he can't remember anything and won't remember who he is talking to. I definitely do not want the responsibility of being the administrator of his will, I have enough problems of my own right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here