SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojocondo

Should I file two insurance claims in two months?

jojocondo
9 years ago

Hi all, it's my first time posting here, and I would need some advice on this matter.

About a month and a half ago, my water heater broke and flooded my condo, so I filed a claim and the insurance says they will be covering all the damages (although they still haven't paid me yet). Now another thing happened - my shower is leaking to my neighbor's unit downstairs! Today I had a plumber opened up the tiles to fix the shower faucet, and discovered that there are mold inside the wall and insulation. I don't know how much of the area is covered with mold, and will definitely need to cut a lot of tiles out to find that out.

My question is should I file a claim again for the shower leak? I have asked my insurance and they said they will cover the damage, but I should see if it's higher than my deductible before I file a claim. I am getting a contractor to come estimate the damage tomorrow before I file a claim.

I also have heard people with my insurance (NJM) filing two big claims (both big water damage) in a year getting dropped by NJM during the renewal process. Will this happen to me if I file this shower leak claim? It will be two claims in two months! My last water heater claim was over $10,000, but I think this shower leak should just be a couple thousand dollars and I have a $1000 deductible. I also don't have an insurance agent, and I don't know where to find one for NJM.

Thanks all for your help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions