Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
check received for deceased relative

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:37

My relative passed away last fall. I was her executor--but, there were no assets beyond her bank account, $500 which went toward her funeral. (I paid the rest of the funeral expenses and her personal possessions had already been disposed of when she went into the nursing home). Since there were no assets I did not have to open probate. Her bank account is closed.

Now I have received a modest check for her, part of a class action settlement.

What can I do with this check? If it is at all possible to cash it as her executor, how do I go about it?

I would ask my attorney, but his bill for the phone call will be about double the size of the check!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: check received for deceased relative

The first link below has a whole section on banking questions relating to deceased individuals and the second link specifically addresses your question.

http://www.bankingquestions.com/deceasedindividuals/deceasedindividuals.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bankingquestions.com/deceasedindividuals/2009/q_0521_toolate.html

o

Is it one of those checks sent out under the seal of the SEC? I'd be tempted to go to your own bank with any executor documents, POAs, etc. even though they may be dated or expired. Your bank may just take it for deposit in your account. Worth a try.

o

Thank you both. Hilltop, those links were just what I needed! Duluth, no seal -- this was a class action actually against my own bank!

I will contact the settlement firm to see if they will reissue the check to her estate.

o

I just went through this last week. My DH was part of a mortgage class action lawsuit. A settlement check came for him, so I took it to the bank, wrote 'for deposit only' on the back and deposited it - no problem.

o

Kay, had you had a joint account with him? I wonder why it was okay?

I had closed this relative's account months ago, so there would have to be some reason for me to be able to deposit into my account.

o

After my friends husband died she eventually changed phone servers. When she received a deposit refund check she could not cash it because he made the deposit on the phone and it was made out to him. They would not change it to her name. Finally one of the bank tellers told to just deposit it and see if would go through and it did. Who was going to complain?

o

Take the check and a copy of the Death Certificate and legal papers naming you executor to the bank. They will allow you to cash it yourself. (I'm no legal expert but I worked for Social Security for many years and we often dealt with uncashed SS checks.)

This post was edited by jannie on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 6:03

o

Sorry,double post.

This post was edited by jannie on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 6:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here