Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend country cottage---cash only?

Posted by polie (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 15:08

I know a weekend country cottage is a luxury. Do you think it's OK to get a mortgage on one, or is it the type of thing that if you can't pay for it 100% cash, you shouldn't be buying it at all? I suppose if I knew real estate didn't go in violent up & down cycles, it would be less of an worry because then you could always sell your second home without a loss if you get in a bad pinch like being laid off for an extended period. By the way, by cottage I do mean something modest, not a big country estate or anything. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend country cottage---cash only?

Mortgage interest rates for property other than primary residence is higher. That's one consideration. The other considerations have to do with your financial circumstances, your net worth, your age, the size of your retirement nestegg, your financial responsibilities, etc. You really need a financial planner to sort all of that out.

But for starters, consider: (1) If you buy outright, you'll have a lot less ready cash, and selling because you need the money is not good -- you don't want to put yourself in that kind of bind; (2) Could you possibly rent the place at times when you don't use it? That would help pay mortgage and other expenses; (3) What would you do with the money you do not plunk down if you take a mortgage, and, assuming it will be invested, for what purpose(s) with what time horizon, and what kind of appreciation can you realistically expect and how does that compare with the mortgage interest (I assume fixed rate -- NO BALLOON)?

Sounds to me you need a fee only certified financial planner, not a broker whose only interest is in generating lots of commissions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here