Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for first time builder - Home Loan

Posted by mscajunpie (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 14:14

We are building a $300,000 house on our property. We want to put down 100K. Our mortage people suggested we borrow 200K but to use our money first so that we will not have to pay interest. Our builder says that we can borrow the 300K and keep our money till the end and then we could buy points for our interest rate.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this and can offer information.

Also, what happens to the extra money if we borrow 300K and we build the house for 200 or 250K? Meaning do we give it back to the mortgage company or do we put it toward our mortgage?

Thanks,
Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for first time builder - Home Loan

When I built, I was approved for a construction loan, once the bank saw the plans and the estimate the builder had given me.

I told them what my down payment was. Once construction began 'my' money was used first, and then 'draws' were made from the amount that was borrowed. Typically there was to have been 3 draws from the amount I was allowed to borrow. I then put that (draw) $$ into an account, and paid for different things house related. Once the house was complete, and had passed inspection, and everyone was paid, the loan was rewritten to a mortgage. It was not written for the full amount of the construction loan approval amount, as it was not needed or necessary.

Also, what happens to the extra money if we borrow 300K and we build the house for 200 or 250K? Meaning do we give it back to the mortgage company or do we put it toward our mortgage?
Did you really mean to say borrow 300K
If the house cost 300K to build and you built for $250K, and put in 100K, then you would only have the mortgage written for $150.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here