Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
car insurance glass coverage

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 13:06

got new insurance. see that glass coverage is tucked into the comprehensive area. my deductible is $500. that means i pay for any windshield replacement. talked to another co. they said if you get comp with glass coverage than there is no deductible. agent also said they personally have a windshield replaced about every 6 months since they live on a gravel road. huh? and thats ok? i asked if they feel any guilt by submitting so many claims and they said they figure thats why they have insurance. claims add up. could their company cancel them? why would a company want them as a customer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: car insurance glass coverage

If my windshields gets a ding or crack, Geico will fix it for free. No deductible.

o

Glass is almost always part of "comprehensive" or "other than collision" coverage. (wording varies by company). Some companies offer a separate "glass coverage" or "deductible buyback". Most companies offer to waive the deductible if the window can be repaired rather than replaced. The situation you have is not uncommon, it is actually the norm.

o

You're right...someone at the insurance company is going to notice that pattern and either force them to change their deductible, or cancel them outright. Insurance is for unforeseeable problems, not maintenance because you keep subjecting the vehicle to a known hazard.

o

Here in ND, because of the rocks, deer etc any insurance company that sells in this state cannot limit the amount of times the windows are replaced. It is a state law. We had our front and side windows replaced withing 2 months of buying the car due to rocks. They cannot cancel or raise your rates either. Most cars do have a 100.00 deductable.

o

I had no-deductible glass coverage for my Jeep, which had only a glass windshield- the other windows were plastic. I replaced the windshield 3 times, and they (State Farm) even wrote me a check to cover the plastic window when it shattered in an ice storm. But it *was* a very interesting conversation with the glass shop I was transferred to when making the claim!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here