Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Link: Tax-friendly states for retirement

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 12:30

MSN Money and Kiplinger co-authored an article and interactive map showing how the different states tax retirees in the major areas of income, sales, property and estate taxes.

I posted links and URLs in the Retirement forum, but as that forum isn't very active, I thought a link here might be of interest to some here who are getting closer to retirement and wondering if downsizing or moving to another state would be a good move. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiplinger interactive map & MSN article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Link: Tax-friendly states for retirement

I've never understood that idea. Live your whole life in an area. Make friends. Raise a family. Belong to a church or social groups. Then, at 65 pack everything up and move to another state because it is cheaper. Granted, this is a finance forum, but there a lot of things in life that are more important than money.

o

I've never understood that idea. Live your whole life in an area. Make friends. Raise a family. Belong to a church or social groups. Then, at 65 pack everything up and move to another state because it is cheaper. Granted, this is a finance forum, but there a lot of things in life that are more important than money.

I agree, I wouldn't leave my expensive state of California that I love. Yes, I can live cheaper some where else, but it wouldn't be a good life so why bother.

o

Depends on the job you had. If you moved around alot during your career I can see it. My Dad was in the Air Force when I grew up so moving every 3 years was normal. I've lived where I am now for 14 years still seems strange not to be moving every 3 years. I'm surpised I have stayed in one place for 14 years. Retirement is too far away to guess what I will do then.

There are a few things that would be higher on my list than the cost of living for deciding where to retire but that would be closer to the top if money was a serious concern when I retire. Of course if money is that big of an issue then I would likely keep working.

o

My husband and I don't plan on leaving Maine when we retire either. We love it here. (We do plan on downsizing though) This is where we raised our family, where our greatest memories are and where we are happy. That saying is true...money isn't everything. NancyLouise

o

billl: "I've never understood that idea."

You're coming at the issue from the wrong point of view.

Most people don't relocate just because the taxes are cheaper somewhere else. People FIRST make the decision to relocate for a variety of reasons: they may not want to deal with snow and ice any more, for example. Or they may want to move somewhere where they can play golf year-round. Or they may want to move into an active adult retirement community where life can be like a permanent vacation.

Once a decision is made to relocate, THEN they look at financial issues, such as which states are more tax-friendly for retirees. In that context, it makes perfect sense to consider the tax burden of a locality that one may be considering relocating to.

o

Once a decision is made to relocate, THEN they look at financial issues, such as which states are more tax-friendly for retirees. In that context, it makes perfect sense to consider the tax burden of a locality that one may be considering relocating to.

So which state did you choose? and why?

o

cmarlin: "So which state did you choose? and why?"

I chose a specific city, rather than a state: Las Vegas. My wife and I honeymooned there 31 years ago and I have been going back once or twice a year ever since (sometimes with my DW and sometimes without). I've always loved Vegas, but it has taken awhile to convince my DW that we should retire there. We're planning on buying a house on a lake with a view of the mountains. The fact that Nevada has no income tax and low property taxes is just an added benefit.

o

Now is a good time to buy in LV!

o

I guess none of you live in NJ where property taxes are almost the highest in the country and they want to raise them again to cover their bad spending habits.

o

Las Vegas has had such a difficult time lately, I wonder if they will change their stance on taxes.

I agree with the others - why pull up roots and move away from family and friends just to save a few bucks? Life is too short.

o

Is there any good reason to live beyond 200 miles of either coast? Most states that are "great" to retire to are not worth retiring to...JMHO

o

>>why pull up roots and move away from family and friends just to save a few bucks? Life is too short.>>

Because family, especially the younger generation, doesn't always stay around. And friends eventually die or move away, as has happened to my MIL.

o

colorcrazy: "I agree with the others - why pull up roots and move away from family and friends just to save a few bucks? Life is too short."

Who moves away from friends and family to save a few bucks?

I'll try this again. People make the decision to move for a variety of reasons. For example, they may not want to deal with ice and snow any longer or they may want to move to a 55+ retirement community. After - repeat, after - that decision is made, they then consider the financial ramifications. They may choose to move to a retirement community in Florida as opposed to California because the taxes and/or cost-of living is lower there.

Nobody thinks to themselves "Gee, I think I'll move away from my family and friends to save a few bucks in retirement. Where should I go?"

o

bethesdamadman - you've said it multiple times, but I don't think your reasoning reflects reality for many people. There are a ton of people who decide to retire to florida (or similar) because that is where you are "supposed" to retire to. I'm sure some people make completely rational retirement decisions, but many don't. Too many people buy into the idea of retiring and "getting away from it all" in some warm, retirement-friendly area. For some people that works great, but for many, it can be quite isolating.

Anyway, to each their own. If you love vegas, I'm happy you found your spot.

o

billl: ' There are a ton of people who decide to retire to florida (or similar) because that is where you are 'supposed' to retire to.'

I'm sorry, but that is just plainly idiotic. I am confident that in the entire history of the state of Florida, no one has ever moved there for the sole reason that that is where one is supposed to retire to. C'mon now. Really.

If you would like to see some thoughts of real people contemplating relocation, check out the link to the thread below. There have been over 30 posts just since yesterday, and no one is moving 'just to save a few bucks.'

Where do you people get these ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Where would you retire to?

o

Different people make different choices, that's all. I know one couple who moved around the US via job relocation, but ended up retiring back in New England where they had grown up. No family left, they just love the area and don't want to leave. When they get older they have enough money to enter a CCRC; there's several nice ones they can choose from.

Another couple retired in the Ozarks, after falling in love with the area. They'd always loved camping and hiking, so it's perfect for their lifestyle.

A third couple missed the opportunity to move to FL and regrets it to this day. They've visited her sister there several times and love the weather, the lifestyle, and the people. They'd move in a heartbeat if they could afford it, but they can't.

Yet another couple is currently house-hunting in Central America, because they can't afford to retire in the US. She's a Panamanian citizen so that country is highest on their list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here