Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I didn't know this about Property taxes

Posted by Yellowhair (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 12:12

A friend was telling me that if you're disabled, you can get a certain amount deducted off your property taxes. I think it's too late for this property-tax year, but if the forms are taken to the property tax personnel at the court house----before January 1st of 2005----the 2005 taxes will be lower.

Did everybody know this but me????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I didn't know this about Property taxes

Here in Arkansas they base property Tax on your income level . If you are low enough income youre property tax is exempted. You need to fill out a form at the county tax office.
I think this is only own your main home.
Don't know aboute other states.
Lindag

o

You need to talk to someone like the dept of aging and ask about the benefits you are allowed. My Mom gets some off of her utilities, and something called a homestead exemption, etc.

o

In our area disabled homeowners get a big reduction in property taxes. But you need to meet the disability guidelines set up for these reductions.

o

Dunno about Kentucky, but in FL it is true.

o

Here in Allegheny county, in Western Pennsylvania, the house and school taxes used to be pro-rated on our home at %25 percent of market value! Then, when the county fell on hard times, they paid a judge to change the taxing formula from 25 percent to 100 percent of assessed valuation! (market value) This way, they could set a value and we could appeal, with much rigamarole, time spent at the county courthouse, and paying exorbitant parking rates downtown, to file an appeal, along with attorney fees, and other costs! This usually resulted in a slight reduction, which had to be gone thru every year!
I'm a disabled veteran, living on SS and my disability check. Guess what that did to our life! And, i get no discount for that either!
And then, to add insult to injury, the big shots decided to re-assess every year or so! Our home taxes keep going higher every year and we'll soon be on our "uppers", as the old saying goes!
Twice a month there is a long list of poor folks homes being sold by the county sheriff for back taxes! (like 4 1/2 pages) There are lots of old folks living around here, old mill workers, all kinds of folks living out their last days, unable to move anywhere else, being hauled out to the street in the coldest weather, and left out there with no where to go!
The Governer says he's going to change all that, but, he has money and time for everything else, and the sales go on!
by: Rustyj

o

Rustyj, that is terrible! Looks like something could be done to help these people.

o

Generally, when a government entity lifts the tax rate (to use this example given, from 25% to 100%), the mill rate falls. I can't imagine a municipality raising the actual taxes 300% or so in a calendar year. In other words, they may have raised your assessed value from $25,000 to $100,000, but they probably dropped the mil rate from 80 cents per hundred to twenty cents per hundred, or maybe a little higher if there has been an actual tax increase.

How can a judge change the taxing formula? That's not a judicial matter, but rather something that would be done by the local legislative body (county commission, etc.)

Many communities reassess annually or biannually. This is not unique to Pennsylvania.

Does your sherriff only haul people out to the street in the coldest weather? That's pretty cruel. Vote him out.

Increasing assessed value generally reflects an increase in the actual value of property, so your property may well be worth more than it was years ago.

o

Our taxes go up every year. My sis has been protesting and they have lowered hers for the last 5 years. It was a waste of her time because this year they raised them up to what they would be if she hadn't protested. We pay a lot on our home, I understand as the value of the house has been going up. If the time comes when we can't afford the taxes we can sell and buy a less expensive one.

o

Can I ask another question about property taxes? When you retire, I thought they took the school taxes off your property bill, so that would drastically reduce our yearly taxes about half. Is this not true?

Why should older people pay school taxes when they have no children in school? (and I didn't know there was a Dept. of Aging - is that the real name?)

o

"Why should older people pay school taxes when they have no children in school?"

The same reason that I have to pay into social security when I will not be drawing from it for 30 years and don't have much hope that it will be there when I retire.

So that you can live in a society with people who have a basic education and will reap the economic and social benefits thereof. School quality has a big impact on property values, crime rates, quality of jobs available in your region, etc.

As far as the original question goes:
"Disability Exemption
Property Owners declared totally disabled for the previous twelve (12) months by any type of public or private retirement system may be eligible for the Disability Exemption. The exemption is $28,000 2004. If you qualify for either of these exemptions, the amount of the exemption will be subtracted from your property's assessed value -- so you will pay less property tax.

It looks like you need to submit an application with your PVA office. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the form you need

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here