Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New trend in billing??

Posted by cupajoe (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 04 at 11:35

Twice this year we have paid in full at the time of service in a doctor's office only to recieve an additional bill many months later saying that they overlooked some charge.I am amazed.I'll bet they don't send additional bills to insurance companies.We are sending the amount,but wonder if there are any laws or regulations about this type of billing.If they haven't discovered any error in six months ,shouldn't there be some kind of statute of limitations on changing the initial amount on the bill?Anyone else experience this phenomenon?Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New trend in billing??

I've never had this happen, but unless the original bill says something to the effect that paying it will pay your account off in full, there is nothing I can think that could stop them from billing you later for something they forgot to charge you for originally.

The problem with a "statute of limitations" type of regulation would be that in order to make it fair, it would probably have to cut both ways. If you discovered after six months that you had been overcharged for something, you would certainly want a refund, and you'd deserve it. In the same way, if they forgot to charge you for a service they legitimately provided, it would seem to me that they deserve to be paid for it.

o

they very definitely do send amended bills to insurance companies.

If this is happening in the same doctor's office, you might register a friendly complaint. Be a squeaky wheel; maybe they'll get their act together.

And I *would* complain quite pointedly if they were changing the RATE: if they said, "oh, we forgot, a doctor's visit is $85, not $75."

If what was going on is they realized they forgot to charge you for the immunication, that's a different thing--still evidence of bad organization and communication in their office, though.

o

I have gotten two bills from two different places, one with a slight amount and one with zero dollars, for visits from over a year earlier. When I called regarding each of these, they explained that their system automatically kicks out a statement when they have their annual audit, something to do with their billing system. The one with a slight balance, they said it was an error in their system, and they zeroed out my account.

o

Most of my doc and hosp bills are paid by universal medical insurance.

As of July of this year, we have to pay an insurance amount, but previous to that, for several years, nothing.

I do have to pay for some things - e.g. PSA test for prostate trouble, which our family has. Earlier that was $20., but recently $40. - for a more complicated test.

Maybe some of you should move to Canada.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here