SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

how to evaluate a prospective financial advisor - what to ask

3katz4me
16 years ago

Here I am again. Zone_8grandma's recent post about meeting with financial planner and retirement readiness prompts me to post this. I tried adding to my previous post about tax exempt, low risk, no AMT investment but since I'm off on a different topic really I'll start over.

I had asked that other question about some cash I had in an interest bearing account - haven't done anything with the interest bearing account yet. I haven't even spent any of it since I haven't had time to work on the projects I want to spend it on. Plus DH is between jobs so I can't bring myself to spend on any discretionary projects until his "sabatical" ends.

Anyway, I have done something about finding a financial advisor. Everything I read says ask for referrals from people you know so I asked a guy I used to work with who I consider to be a smart guy, has similar views/values as mine - and someone who retired before age 60. I figure he must have good financial advice. He's worked with the same guy for a long time - 20 years maybe. Another former coworker also got a referral to same FA and she is satisfied so far. I at least liked the sound of him on the phone - low key - not obnoxious salesy type like some others I've talked to in the past.

Anyway, I have a meeting setup with the guy in a few weeks. Can you direct me to a good "checklist" of what to ask/find out about a financial advisor when you meet with one? I just don't trust someone else to tell me what to do with my money but I know I need professional help because I'm not going to do it myself. How do I ensure I have a reputable, trustworthy person like zone8_grandma's guy appears to be?

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions