Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free credit report

Posted by analytical (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 11:01

Any suggestions on a good website for free three in one credit report?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free credit report

Here is I believe to be the official site. You can get them on line or by calling an 800#.

Someone suggested getting one every 4 months from one of the 3 credit unions, so one can keep an eye on things throughout the year, as opposed to once a year if all 3 are pulled at the same time.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: FTC Annual credit report site

o

Sue,
Thanks for that link, I bookmarked it.

o

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure that is the 'right' one, but was hoping that someone would back me up on it being right.

o

At least here in Minnesota, you can log on to the Web site below for the free credit reports you are entitled to every year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free annual credit reports

o

Is there a website that would provide a Canadian person with her own free report?

o

You can go to the Equifax Canada site and download a form that you fill out and send to them for a free report.

Here is a link that might be useful: Equifax Canada

o

Theres only one online source authorized to provide you with a free copy of your credit report. Thats annualcreditreport.com. Beware of other sites that may look and sound similar.

o

Analytical,

ONE note of issue; The free reports do not come with valid (or any, for that matter) calculated FICO scores... just the raw liability history & data.

This is not UNuseful... but be aware that if you want your credit reports to use as benchmarks for any kind of actual credit applications you'll need to have a regular tri-merge (industry specific) pulled so you know the actual FICO scores.

Further, be aware that different industries subscribe to different FICO algorithms... so a set of mortgage scores won't help for a car loan, or insurance grading, or consumer credit.

OK... that's my "public announcement" for the weekend.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Strategic Equity & Leverage Planner

o

I am at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/, trying to receive a free credit report.

What I don't know is who will be providing me a report, Equifax. Experian, or TransUnion? I don't want all three reports at once.

o

I need to do that too. Any answers out there? Sandy

o

What I don't know is who will be providing me a report, Equifax. Experian, or TransUnion? I don't want all three reports at once.

Once you fill out the extensive form, and enter (or continue) somewhere it will then ask which credit reporting agency you want the report from. You can then check one, two, or all three of them.

I used the site a couple of weeks ago, and got my report from TransUnion.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Annualcreditreport.com

o

Thanks, Sue.

I am still worried about entering my SSN online. Have you had any problems in terms of identity theft?

o

I am still worried about entering my SSN online. Have you had any problems in terms of identity theft?
No problems. If you don't want to do it on line, you can also make your request via phone or via mail after printing out the form.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: REQUEST YOUR FREE ANNUAL CREDIT REPORT ONLINE, BY PHONE OR BY MAIL.

o

Thanks, Sue.

This is nothing to do with credit report, but the daffodil in your page is very pretty. I planted 50 daffodill bulbs last month. I can't wait next spring!

o

Get your free annual credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

But DON'T pay any attention to the credit scores! They are fakos (just a guesstimate and can be off by as much as 100 points!)

And yes, you should pull your credit reports from all three bureaus! Click on the links and it will basically walk you through it. Be prepared to answer verification questions about loans, payments and such. If you enter the wrong info, you will have to then get them by mail, possibly.

To pull all three credit reports after getting the freebies, you can go with either http://www.truecredit.com for 14.95 per month (you are allowed to update reports every 24hrs and 1min). Another place to get them with your real fico scores are http://www.myfico.com

I'm on the free forums there at myfico and absolutely love it!

o

I only skimmed, so forgive me for any repetition:

Your free annual report is extremely helpful, but you will not get your actual FICO scores, you have to pay for those. If you want to pay for those, be sure and check for online coupons. I saved 20% last week when I pulled mine.

Re: FAKOs. I have subscribed to True Credit for a few years. While it is good for catching things on your report, and getting emails alerting you to new inquiries or problems, the FAKO scores can REALLY be off. I paid for my FICOs last week, and they are much higher than what True Credit says, 44/52/65 higher - that is very significant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here