Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Car insurance question

Posted by sportsmom12 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 04 at 10:46

For personal reasons, I am taking my 21 year old's car away for about a year. Because he has to work and go to college, I am considering letting him use "old betsy- our junker truck"
Here is the situation and questions
1. He has his own insurance which is very expensive(about 2500K a year with collision)
2. He is not on my insurance policy
Can I drop insurance on his car because we are taking it off the road- even though we owe a balance to the bank?
Since he isn't on mine what happens if he gets in an accident or am I better off just adding the junker to his and switchng the title to him. i would love to drop his insurance, and switch everything with the truck over to him. I am not going to see his car- just waiting until he matures more to let him have it back

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Car insurance question

If there is a loan on the vehicle, you most likely will be required to carry insurance. You are letting the license tags lapse? I would call the car-loan people, explain the situation to them, and see what insurance you need to carry. I suspect you'll need at least some, to protect financial interest in case of falling limbs, light-fingered thieves, etc.

Your other question is best directed to your insurance agent. It does not sound like your son's use will be considered "occasional," so he likely won't fall under any such provision in your policy. I think you (and he) would be better off moving "Old Betsy" to his policy -- a lower replacement cost should lower his premiums (at least for a while). But I'm no insurance agent and I don't play one on TV. Call 'em. That's what they're there for. :-)

RE: Car insurance question

The holder of the car loan will probably require that full coverage insurance be maintained, whether anyone plans to drive the car or not. They are concerned not only with the possibility of damage to the car, but also liability that could go back to them if they permit a car that they own (since they have the title) to be potentially operated on the road without insurance. Many cars that aren't supposed to be driven are taken out "just once," and once is all it takes to get into an accident.

The best thing I can think of to do would be to park the car where you know where it is, and change the insurance on it to a "limited mileage" plan, if your company offers it. With State Farm, there can be a substantial discount if you are going to drive less than 7,500 miles a year.

One other possibility that would be an option if you have some other car that you do own free and clear would be to drop the insurance on that car (assuming you can park it in a garage where it would be unlikely to be stolen or damaged) and drive your son's car for the year that he won't be using it.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here