SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesrgeib

So, what's your typical monthly electric/gas bill?

jamesrgeib
17 years ago

I've paid two electric/gas bills since moving in to our new home. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount due. I decided to keep the house very comfortable (cool) for the first month to get a realistic bill, and I kept the water heater set pretty high since my wife likes hot showers, and my dishwasher likes hot water.

We run the dishwasher a few times a week, and do about 3 loads of laundry per week.

Most of my appliances are Energy Star rated, and my HVAC unit is a 13 SEER.

All exterior walls are cellulose insulated, and Tyveked (I'm sure Tyvek will appreciate the creation of a new verb!)

Brick veneer exterior.

Half crawl space/half unfinished basement.

Total heated/cooled square footage is 2780, one level.

One 50 gallon gas water heater.

One 50 gallon electric water heater (Feed from the gas heater)

Gas cooktop.

Two refrigerators.

POrtable air purifier running 12 hours a day.

Argon filled, low E windows.

Blown cellulose attic insulation (R30)

My first bill during our hot July was $185

Our second bill, with milder weather, was $170

I imagine the next bill will be less, as I've lowered the water heater temp a bit, and the AC hasn't been running much. I've also been more anal about turning off unused electric 'things'. (lights, fans, etc..)

I'm curious as to other people's bills compared to their square footage, insulation type and appliance set-up. I'm sure exterior walls insulated with cellulose and good windows have helped a lot. I just wonder which has helped more. (I was also very anal about sealing every nook and cranny around the windows and doors before we insulated and put up the drywall.)

Hope this isn't too personal,

James

Comments (22)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions