Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I start the bankruptcy process?

Posted by michelle_phxaz (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 6:14

Yes, unfortunately it has come to this. How do I go about it, and what types of bankruptcy are there?

We are about $90k in credit card debt and living paycheck to paycheck.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I start the bankruptcy process?

In my opinion, step 1 is to go to the National Foundation for Credit Counseling website. It is the "real" organization, not one of the late night scammers. Click on the "Find A Counselor" option and make an appointment with someone in your area. It will either be free or just a nominal fee.

Their website also has a section on bankruptcy if you want to learn some of the basics. However, if you haven't seen a counselor yet, you really don't know if that is an option for you. If it is, they have counseling for that too. However, before you even think of filing, you'll need to set up an overall financial plan that will keep you out of these type of messes in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: NFCC

o

I went to a free consultation with a bankrupcy attorney. He laid down the facts, and I never did it.

o

I found an excellent attorney in the state my relative lives in on line. I google the city (small) looked at persons picture, whick included a family picture, liked how he advertised, had good feeling, and relative and spouse went, we paid the down payment, and he did an excellent job. This was involving house, 2nd, credit cards and medical bills, which they excluded by choice from the bankrupcty. Took awhile but it worked.

o

Bankruptcy attorneys usually have a free consult. You may not be eligible, as the laws changed in 2005, and an attorney will be able to tell you if you qualify. One of the first things you have to do is to take a Pre-Bankruptcy financial counseling class before you file, and most Bk attorneys can suggest several that are acceptable. No sense taking one that isn't acceptable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here