Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Software for doing one's Income Tax?

Posted by Shirley (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 03 at 3:33

Any suggestions, thoughts? I'd like something that is reasonably intuitive, easy to understand, etc. Oh yes, and something that doesn't cost a lot! ;o)
TIA
Shirley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Software for doing one's Income Tax?

Hi Shirley,

My mother runs a very small tax preparing business and we are her computer support people...grrrrrrr

JMHO...DON'T USE TURBO TAX!

The calculations appear to be correct and it's cheap, but unless you have a relatively new printer you'll have problems printing your returns (which is the whole point, right?) Actually, this year for the first time, the whole tax return dumps into an Acrobat format, but there were still printing issues, i.e. hieroglyphics, garbage on every page, no lines printed on the return (none of which the IRS will accept).

In addition, if your pc should happen to crash (which hers did...argh) you'll have to buy another copy just to install it again on ANY hard drive, whether reformatted or brand new...you get one install per box and that's it, doesn't matter whether it's the same pc or not.

Their support offered no help on the printing issue and they wrote the software for the single install issue, so they don't empathize with your problems.

"We" all survived, but she's changing to a different software this year.

*catching her breathe and quietly slinking away* lol

o

We've used Tax Cut for the last couple of years without problems (at least none that we or the IRS know of).

o

MsLadyByte, I've heard of TurboTax, and thought it was one of the better packages...but your comments are certainly scarey, and it sounds as though you know your bytes from your bits, so I'll follow your suggestion and steer clear. Thanks!

Meghane, your experience with Tax Cut sounds promising, and I'll look into it, thank you.

Shirley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here