Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long do you have to be in a home to get an equity loan?

Posted by lucky32 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 0:56

We have been in ours for 2 years and our home actually cost us less to build than it's worth. We just need a "chunk" of money to do some things around here that need to be done, probably 15-20K would work for us. So any input would be great! thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long do you have to be in a home to get an equity loan?

We signed all the paperwork for our equity line of credit on the same day as we signed the mortgage for purchasing the house. Start checking around now - you should be ready to go.

o

Time of ownership isn't really a factor, other than helping to demonstrate financial stability.

Really there are two issues: 1) the amount of equity in the house; and 2) your ability to repay whatever you borrow. Both of those figure into the lender's risk in handing you the money.

The first, equity, is the current value of your home (not what you paid) less your existing mortgage balance. Housing values may be heading up or down where you are and lenders are sensitive to that. Used to be easy to cash out 100% of your equity, but that has led to big problems in declining markets. A little tighter now out there on 'loan to value' (LTV). Which is probably a good thing.

Your ability to repay is assessed from your income, your other debt and your credit rating. Again, all the turmoil in the mortgage markets has led to tightening. The days of lending without reasonable documentation of income are hopefully over. Another good thing.

So long as you are not cutting it close on qualifying (income/debt/credit history) or equity (LTV), the mortgage 'crisis' shouldn't affect your equity loan. Just don't overextend yourselves based on equity that may decline.

Good luck.

o

thanks! well my husband is very money cautious, he keeps me in check, so I'm sure we wouldn't do it unless we knew it would be better in the long run. I just want to get that nice chunk to get some left over stuff from building that we need to do around our home ... we are the kind of people who just need to DO stuff cause if we say oh we'll work on it here and there...well it never gets finish!

o

I would never, ever get an equity loan. I know it is a common thing these days, but I wanted our home paid for when my husband retired so we could live well on our income. We were out of debt except for one car payment. We had been saving so much of our income that when he retired, we felt rich with no bills and far more income than we needed to live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here