SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Being Threatened By Collections - Not Our Debt!!

rivkadr
17 years ago

About 4 or 5 months ago, we received a bill in the mail for $1500 from a medical diagnostics lab. It was for tests done in January of 2006, and the information attached to the tests was my husband's name, and our old health insurance. The doctor listed was our old doctor.

We haven't had that insurance since 06/2005, when my husband quit his job at the time and moved to a different company. We haven't seen that doctor since the spring of 2005. We don't even live in that area anymore.

My husband spoke to someone at the lab and explained that there was some sort of mixup -- that it couldn't be him, that he had had no tests done, and that we didn't use that doctor or insurance anymore. We thought it was taken care of.

Then we got a letter a month ago from a collections agency, demanding payment from us. My husband refuted the claim, by explaining that it was not him.

We just received the following letter from the laboratory:

We are the laboratory that has sent you to collection. We have nothing in our notes showing that you have spoken to anyone in our laboratory. Please call xxxx to arrange for payment as soon as possible before this has gone into hard collection. We also have a copy of your license on file that was sent to us the day of your visit to Dr. xxxx. There is no mistake with someone else using your information at the clinic at the time of service.

What do we do??? Hire a lawyer? Keep refuting it? This is going to go on his credit report, if it isn't already there. Obviously, either the doctor's office messed up somehow, or someone is using his information at the office fraudulently. This is completely unbelievable.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions