SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Any reason to be 'brand-loyal' to my insurance company?

lkplatow
15 years ago

My homeowners/auto insurance company ticked me off by charging excessive "convenience fees" that they never told me about (apparently, I've been paying them an extra $4/month for 3 years now for something that was free when I signed up). In retaliation, I started calling around for quotes, not really thinking I'd find anything cheaper (I shopped hard for my current insurance and thought I had a great deal since I saved nearly $1000/year off what I was paying at my old company). I found 2 companies that are significantly less than what I'm paying now (auto is about HALF of what I'm currently paying). They are both A+ rated companies.

My husband is a little worried that it's a bad idea to keep switching insurance companies - he feels like if we're loyal to them, they'll be loyal to us. I think that's BS - insurance companies don't care about anything except the bottom line. But I know that some companies do offer things like accident forgiveness if you stay with them for several years. (I don't know if our current company does though). I don't want to switch and then get dropped or jerked around if I have to file a claim (not that there's any guarantee our current company wouldn't do this to us anyhow).

We've been with our current company for about 4 years now and never filed a claim. I haven't noticed any discount for that, nor have I gotten any letters thanking me for being a great customer or anything...ha ha. Anyhow, I'm wondering if there's any reason NOT to switch, or should I just do it and laugh all the way to the bank with my extra $1000/year? I need to decide by tomorrow because my auto insurance is up for renewal on 9/1 and we're going out of town on Friday and won't be back til after the renewal is up.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions