SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie_tx

Deseased father and credit card debt??

connie_tx
19 years ago

Someone who can hopefully help us would greatly be appreciated. This is our delima. My father passed away suddenly and without warning in May. They had retired because of health from a self employed home based business. They took the debt that the business eventually got them into and consolidated them by transferring to 2 low interest credit cards. One of the 2 was in his name only and the other was in his primarily and then they added her to it. When my mother called to see what she could do about lowering payments etc. They asked her to speak to him and she told them he had died. They told her at that time this is on the first card that it would be forgiven and she would owe nothing on it since it was in his name and the other said the same thing. One wanted a death certificate the other just asked questions about place of death etc.Transfered her over to the probate line??? The first one has since said it was not forgiven and that she had to pay it but helped drop interest even farther and the payment to help my Mother. The second one sent a letter today wanting to settle it when they told her it was no longer her responsibility. This letter says that if there was an estate probate etc they needed it to be paid for or a letter sent to them. They have nothing the home is in my Mothers name as well as all checking accounts, and the other credit cards she owes. The house is paid for and in her name only and my sisters and I. She lives on less than $900.00 a month down from 2100.00 since his death and its not enough for her to pay her bills and medicine she has to have. She lost his retirement pension which was not big and his or her social security. Can they get her home or make her sell this to satisfy them. It sounds like they are trying to get it from her, this is the largest one in his name only. She is terrified that they can do that and she will have nowhere to go. We all say they cannot do this. She has excellant credit and is doing all she can to keep up the others on time as always. Where do we go and should we just write the letter saying there is nothing to pay for this debt. After all they are the ones who told her in the first place she wouldn't have to pay these now it sounds if they are trying to scare her into paying and if so she may have to declare bankruptcy. This payment was 387.00 a month.. Please help if any one can so we can get her blood sugars and blood pressure down which this morning at the Doctors was extremely high and worried the Doctor. She used the only insurance policy they had to bury him and pay for the Headstone. Another to pay the house off and save her that payment per month. Thanks for anyones help and advice.

Connie

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert
More Discussions