Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric suppliers

Posted by deb_pa (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 18:37

About every 3 months I am swamped with letters, phone calls and finally even door to door people trying to get me to change part of my electric supplier, the delivery part. I have tried to understand the different sections of who does what in the different sections of the bill and am at a loss.
I live in PA and have First Energy and West Penn Power. First Energy owns West Penn Power but I can change FE and keep WPP. I am lost. I checked the rates of what each charges per KWH and there are 2 or 3 cheaper. Some have locked in rates for 6 months, some for a year. Some have a cancellation fee, some do not. I have read reviews on the 3 lowest and there are as many bad as there are good on each. Help, I feel foolish not to look into this if I could lower my electric bill even $20 a month. Could someone please explain electric charges in plain simple English to me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric suppliers

What this is about is changing the company that generates the electricity. So instead of ABC Power Plant it's going to come from XYZ Power Plant. All the local distribution remains exactly the same. No new wires coming to your house or anything like that. If you have a problem, you call the local power utility. If there's a local power outage it's going to effect you just like your neighbors.

A while back our town negotiated a rate with a different supplier for electricity. We weren't forced to change, it was just an option. The only change is that the bill is a little smaller. The lights still work the same. ;-)

o

Huh. Who knew you could "change" power companies?
In my area, there is only 1 power company that serves each location. Our rates are dictated to us.

o

Yeah, I have the option to change but haven't.
The competition has higher rates than I currently pay!

o

Could someone please explain electric charges in plain simple English to me?
I think I see it as comparable to when long distance was deregulated. Remember that? Companies were clamoring to get to provide you with 'their' long distance service.

I would research them as much as you can and ask friends and neighbors what they are choosing to do and why.

o

In this area, most of those people deal only with the cost of the generation of the electricity that you use.

At the most that is about a third of my power bill, which runs about $100.00 per month, usually more like a quarter. The major cost is the cost of delivery, and that is done by the people who own and operate the grid, the towers and lines that bring the electricity to you.

We also have admin costs and taxes ... plus we have a charge for debt retirement, and since the people who generate haven't built a major generating station in 40 years, you'd think that they'd have money in the till to pay for a new one.

The portion of our power bills that deal with the generating part are about to undergo a major rise, for the powers that be allowed a number of agencies that produce by using wind or solar to receive a guaranteed rate much higher than has been charged in the past.

ole joyful

o

We don't have another elec company in our city but we do have two gas companies. There is no option to change servers. It is set by the area you live in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here