Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Financing and deductibility for a rental

Posted by chiefneil (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 17:26

I hope I'm on the right forum here. I own a rental house that has an adjustable mortgage at prime. It's currently fully indexed and adjusting monthly.

I just received an offer for a HELOC on my primary residence at prime-1%. So I'm wondering about taking a HELOC and using it to pay off the mortgage on the rental.

My concern is whether or not I can consider the HELOC on my primary residence as an expense for the rental, since obviously it wouldn't be secured by the rental. I know a HELOC is deductible as an itemized expense against my regular income, however I'm way over the AMT so it wouldn't help as much.

I'm guessing this won't fly, but I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Financing and deductibility for a rental

I agree it won't fly. It may be "cheaper" to refi your rental.
I'd refi anything that adjusted monthly... unless it was about 4%.

o

Thanks cmarlin. Refinancing is always an option, but I'd like to sell the property in the next year or two when the market stabilizes. I'm not sure I can get a rate much lower than the current 7.5% without paying points, and when you add in closing costs, it doesn't seem worthwhile until rates go lower. I'm not real conversant with the tax laws, I let my accountant sort it all out for me at tax time. I guess I should give him a call and see what he thinks.

o

If you are now paying 7.5%, you probably can't do better. I'd let it sit and sell it. You'd pay more in loan costs than it is worth. Only thing I'd recommend is making sure you are getting top rent. If it will sell as a rental that will help your price and help your current cash flow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here