SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Advice Please About Assisted Living for My Dad

At this time my 90-year-old father, who is showing increasing signs of dementia and is incontintent, has been cared for in his home by a lady who says she can no longer perform this increasingly difficult task. One problem is that he leaves the apartment at night looking for her, and he has recently flooded his apartment by pushing his diapers down the toilet. We are having to seriously consider an assisted living facility, but the problem is that my dad has very little money of his own at this point and my brother and I will have to take a considerable part in financing his stay at such a facility. We were told that Medical would only come into play if he had to go into a nursing home because he needed nursing care, was intubated, bed-ridden, etc. We were told there was no financial assistance from the government in a case such as ours, and it would be our responsibility to take care of his assisted care costs. I'm left wondering what happens to seniors in his position who have no children or other relatives or whose children are barely making ends meet themselves, and are unable to help out financially. Can anyone answer these questions for me? This is new territory for us and any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions