Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mortgage Refi Question

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 16:05

So, a lot of people refinance their mortgage when the rates go down enough.

I called my bank and asked if they would just rewrite the note. Because, first of all, I'll be paying less per month, and also, the termination date will be the same. So, I'm not taking out a new 30 year loan. Just want lower rates on my remaining 20 years.

Does anybody know why banks don't do this, other than income from the extra fees?

BTW, they keep sending me letters telling me that "Now is a good time to refinance at a lower rate." Yep, it's all about the money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mortgage Refi Question

Gee.. banks are all about the money!
Imagine that!

o

If I were doing over, we switched from a 30 to 15 year, I would refinance for a 30 year for the lower rate and continue paying as for the original note. Either for a 20 or 30 year you will be paying all kinds of fees. Although the rate is lower than your current the re-fi interest rate is generally higher than the new purchase rate. If you would need to pay the lower amount you could but by paying off using the original payment amount you will be paying off sooner and saving interest. However you must be certain that wherever you are getting your re-fi does not charge any prepayment fee.

o

I decided not to refinance because I plan to pay it off in 6 years anyway. I really hate my bank. Can you tell? ;) They tricked me into an ARM saying I didn't qualify for a 30 year fixed, luckily for me my rates keep going down. So, I guess it worked out for me.

o

"Does anybody know why banks don't do this, other than income from the extra fees? "

Some lenders actually do what you are suggesting. They never used to, but many people have been getting unsolicited offers for zero cost refinancing with their current lenders.

And of course, that is about the money too. Since lots of people refinance before paying off the loan, some lenders have found it makes more sense to lower the rate than to lose the business completely. Of course, most lenders sell off the loans they make, so they don't care if you pay off early etc. They make all their money off of the up-front fees, not the 30 years of interest.

o

clg, we paid ours off early and never regretted it. You will save so much in interest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here