Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
signs of recovery

Posted by cheri2008 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 14:22

Wanting to hear positive signs that the economy is starting to turn. We own a small buisness, and things don't seem to be picking up, we will be okay if the downturn does not hang on too long...guess I am asking to hear some positive news, anyone???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: signs of recovery

I think this will be a slow recovery as the consumer is psychologically shell-shocked. An improved savings rate is good for the country in the long run, but there's a short-term cost in the lack of support for retail. This can cause ripples 'downstream', so I expect to see even more empty neighborhood storefronts than we do now. That's doesn't necessarily mean businesses have closed, so much as many are retrenching. They may move to smaller, cheaper office space, close unprofitable branches, or even go back to the home business model.

Much depends on your local economy. Are you dependent upon just neighborhood locals? Walking or driving? What's your competition doing? Would more marketing improve your bottom line? These and other questions are important as you try to steer through these murky times.

Even in our area, where the per capita income is greater than average and RE is expensive, local businesses are suffering. We've seen our net worth fall by 40% and our income will fall 20% when my DH retires next year - but we are still much more fortunate than most. We have cut back a little, but will cut back a bit more when retirement actually happens. Some budget items, though, can only be cut so far, so there's still a level of discretionary income being spent.

The US was the first into the global recession and thus will be the first out of it. I discount China's numbers by at least half; their economy and its statistics are entirely government-driven and therefore extremely suspect. To say they inflate their figures to suit their political message is putting it mildly, LOL. Still, they are pulling out of a tailspin as well, in one form or another.

The next shoe to drop for the US will be the commercial loan market and the bump in foreclosures. A lot of people didn't realize the banks had stopped foreclosures earlier in the year, so distressed properties were in suspension and are only beginning to work their way back up into view again.

The good thing is so far, upcoming commercial loans due have been able to be rolled over or new stock issued to raise capital. Karen Finerman, one of my favorites on CNBC's "Fast Money" program, recently confessed she had finally unraveled her short position (e.g., lost money) on commercial loan prop management co's because her picks (to implode) had been able to raise capital and keep going.

And there is a lot of pent-up demand for housing stock. The current constrictions on appraisals and mortgages will only lengthen the timeline that demand will continue. It will not destroy the demand itself.

Amongst our family and friends, very few have lost their jobs. Cutbacks in staff, increase in hours, no bonuses, lousy (or no) salary increases - but they're still working and pulling in paychecks.

Like the proverb says, this too shall pass. I've seen quite a few recessions, and every single time the doomsayers come out 'en masse' and say the sky is falling. Truth is, the skies DO fall on some - but for most, they keep going or just pick themselves up and figure out a way to recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here