Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutual Funds -- Legal Question

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 13:17

Is each fund within a group of funds a separate legal entity? That is, could the ABC Fund within the 'house' of say, Thornburg Mutual Funds, be tapped to meet the needs of the XYZ Fund? Wouldn't that comprise "co-mingling" and be illegal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutual Funds -- Legal Question

Each fund is a seperate entitiy...American funds has lots to offer and each fund stands on its own in earnings and losses...
Karen L

o

As karen_sl has mentioned, each fund is a legal entity.

Also know that there are such things as "funds of funds" where the "marketed" fund is actually made up of other funds.

Many of the Targeted Retirement Funds are managed this way.

o

Thanks, karen_sl and dontknow. This 'funny money' (over-rated mortgages bundled and sold) has me nervous.

Thornburg was on my mind because we own one of its funds and its mortgage branch is in trouble -- same CEO for the Mutuals and the Mortgage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here