SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Trying to pay off debt.....

plantmaven
12 years ago

My husband was in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. I used the lion's share of his retirement plan to pay for his care. Which I would do again in a heart beat.

I bought a less costly home and then put my former house on the market. Thinking I would have $$ from the sale to use for my debt. Two months later was when the housing market fell.

My first mistake was to buy the "new" (older) house using a home equity loan on the house I was going to sell. Then it took 11 months for that house to sell and at a $28,000 loss. I had to accept that offer because I then owed taxes on the two houses I owned. I soon realized that I should have gotten a mtg on the "new"

I paid off the equity loan as soon has I sold my former home.

I now have no retirement plan and live on SS. I have $16,000 in debt. Part of that was a purchase of a new air conditioning/heating unit. That is a 12 month no interest plan. I am paying that. That means I can pay a few dollars above the minimum on the two credit cards.

I want to sell what I can to pay off that debt.

Being a widow I am hesitant to list on craigslist. I am willing to sell all my furniture, except my bed and a chair to sit in....while I twiddle my thumbs. LOL

How do I go about selling what jewelry I have. It's not a huge about, but every dollar will help.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions