SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Planned Obsolescence?

chisue
15 years ago

OK, I'm stretching to make this post fit the "Finances" forum. We need a new mattress. I'm sick of mattresses made with foam that always breaks down after a few years, no longer providing support.

Last go-round when DH and I tried mattresses in a retail store we literally bounced off them. They were like trampolines! DH weighs 185 and I'm 120. The salesman said they were building mattresses for a population of heavy people -- that we'd need to add pillowtops. Fine, now we have foam-based beds that are breaking down and pillowtops that are H-O-T.

Anybody have a solution to get off this merry-go-round of buying mattresses that are too hot and that break down in only a few years? How about the air beds? Wool pillowtops? (And just how are the air mattresses -- at $2K -- different from those blow-ups for camping?)

Who has had a mattress for several years that doesn't display a 'fanny imprint' and is comfortable and cool?

Maybe I should add that we like a pair of X-Long Twins used together as a European King. (Easier to flip.)

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions