Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about community property

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 10:33

Although I live in Canada, I am interested in the following.

1. Is florida a community property state? If so, is money received, personally, in an inheritance, included in that?

2. What happens in a second marriage? Is everything brought into the marriage included, or just what is obtained after the marriage.

thanks everyone
ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about community property

The following are community property states:
Arizona
California
Idaho
Louisiana
Nevada
New Mexico
Texas
Washington
Wisconsin

I live in WA state. Inheritances are separate property. If the recipent puts the inheritance into a joint account, then it would be come community property. But if they keep it in a separate account, then it stays separate.

In a second marriage, property owned prior to the marriage stays the separate property unless it's put into both names.
Everything the couple acquires during the marriage is community property regardless of who buys it.

o

The courts, at least in Washington, look for ways to find something to be community property, not for ways not too. Cash is the easiest thing to keep separate. If you come into the marriage with a house for example, and the new spouse makes improvments to the house, pays the RE taxes or anything like that, it is likely to be treated as community property thereafter.

My son-in-law came into his marriage with a farm. He thinks it is his separate property, but my daughter works on the farm without pay and sells their produce at a local farmer's market. I think my son-in-law would be surprised to find that he has effectively comingled their assets.

o

Thank you both for the info.

I appreciate it.

ivamae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here