SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistopheles52

I need some guidance please

mistopheles52
13 years ago

Hello: I've got a difficult financial problem to try and solve and am not sure how to go about this. My husband and I are Canadian and we live on his retirement income of $3400.00 mthly clear income. My credit has no problems but his credit is terrible. He has amassed debt on two credit cards (one card I didn't even know he had) to the tune of approx. $17000.00. I am a spendthrift by nature and only have had a credit card myself for approx 10 years and have only spent about 4500.00 in those ten years. He financed a car in 2007 without my knowledge (said he had leased it), owes about $7000.00 in back taxes on the home. We need a new roof, a new furnace and he needs to have dental work which he left too long. He had (and still has) a dental plan but never bothered to use for regular oral maintenance. Now the teeth damage is rediculous. His money management skills are not there and he will not allow me access to the bank account. The mortgage is in both our names and is up for renewal in June 2011. There are numerous financial obligations which have to be paid (of which all he incurred) and now he wants to consolidate a mortgage loan. I do not want to do this as this will mess up my credit. Frankly, I do not want to sign my name beside his for anything dealing with a debt he incurred. What I am thinking of doing is renegotiating the mortgage for next June 2011 and him setting up a debt repayment loan on his own. I literally do not want my name signed by his on anything (besides the mortgage) as he has proven to be unreliable with finances. I am tired of trying to talk with him about this and just want my own peace of mind. I cannot stress myself out any more with this as I have heart issues and several other medical problems. They do not impact my life where I am not able to do anything but stress for me is not good. Some thoughts would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do. Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions