Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preset $ on Visa Card (gift card)

Posted by kraftdee (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 8:46

What do you think of giving a visa gift card for a Wedding Gift?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preset $ on Visa Card (gift card)

Why not just give cash? If you give cash they can even put the money in savings if they so wish (maybe saving for a house downpayment or something large)

-rj

o

I agree with scryn. Why not just give cash (in the form of a cheque for security purposes)? Why pay the fee to put the money on a visa gift card? Give the marrying couple the extra $10 instead of giving it to the Visa company.

o

I H-A-T-E those VISA gift cards. Some of them can't be used if you don't know the exact amount on it, which is a challenge if you didn't utilize the whole amount on one purchase. One of my pet peeves is receiving "rebates" via VISA gift cards. Give cash or choose something from the registry.

o

They are a pain to use... and they charge fees.

As others mentioned, give cash instead.

o

I like giving American Express Gift Cheques as gifts. They look like gold-colored travelers checks and come in a gold envelope with a gift card that you can write out. They work just like travelers checks for the recipient so they can be used anywhere or, if they so choose, can cash them or deposit them in their bank account just like a regular check.

They have the same benefits of just giving cash or a check, but it just seems a little more special (at least to me.). I think that the last time I purchased a $100 gift cheque, it cost $101.50, so the cost is very reasonable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here