SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Strange credit reports

harriethomeowner
12 years ago

We discovered, in applying for a refinance of our mortgage, that our credit reports went from the 800s (since the last time we refinanced, in 2007) to the 700s, and all three agencies list one factor that adversely affected our scores as "Too many inquiries last 12 months." How can this be? We haven't applied for new credit anywhere before this. We get quite a few unsolicited offers in the mail -- and shred them. I've called to get these things to stop in the past, but I guess I need to do it again.

Also, all three agencies say "Proportion of balances to credit limits on bank/national revolving or other revolving accounts is too high, amount owed on revolving accounts is too high." Why would this be? DH and I each have one credit card that we use strictly as a convenience, never get anywhere near the limit on either card, and pay both of them off in full every month. We had a smallish HELOC balance but paid it off in full last year. That's it -- no other loans or use of credit.

How do you get them to take these things off of your history? It doesn't seem to be a problem in getting credit -- we've been approved by two different banks for this refi -- but it's really bothersome.

Contacting these agencies is a major pain. There is no way to just call. They all want you to sign up for a service -- for a fee, of course. It is such a racket. Does writing a letter help?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions