Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raising credit score?

Posted by addictedtoroses (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 23:57

I have a problem that nobody seems able to help me with. My credit score is between 625-665, which isn't too bad but it could be better. I pay my bills but iI do have a few old medical bills that went to collections. My debt to credit ratio is good, my credit history is short. Everyone that has looked at my credit says that it's too good for the score to be so low. One guy said he would make some phone calls to try to fix it but then he never got back to me. He said he didn't understand why the score was so low but sometimesthere was a glitch in the system. He said that he had seen 725 scores that weren't as good as mine so i don't know why the score isn't better. I don'thave trouble financing anything but I could get better rates if my score were better. Does anyone here know who i would need to call to get this mess straightened out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raising credit score?

Are you planning to make a large purchase such as a car or house soon?

o

Every time we get a credit report, it says on the report what we are doing well in and what can be improved.
Yours should say that too.

o

Yes it does. It just says my credit history is short. But loan officers, when we buy cars mostly - my husband can't seem to stay with the same car more than a year- tell us that the score should be better with the history shown. There are people with short credit histories and more bad things on their reports, with higher scores. I just want to know who to call to fix the number, not to know what I'm doing wrong.

o

You 'fix the number' by being patient and getting a longer credit history.
No phone call will change your score.

o

And, you fix your score by knowing what you are "doing wrong" and changing your habits.

o

If you can't find any errors in your credit reports -- and you should carefully read all three from Experian, Transunion and Equifax -- then you have no basis to dispute the scores. If there are errors, then you need to contact each credit company separately. The link below to the FTC website tells you haw to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disputing Errors on Credit Reports

o

Last of all, anyone who says he can improve your credit score for a fee is generally a scam artist...run the other way.

o

"But loan officers, when we buy cars mostly - my husband can't seem to stay with the same car more than a year- tell us that the score should be better with the history shown."

Are you taking out too many loans? Even if you are paying on time, might this be a problem?

You can sign up for Credit Karma (not associated, yada,yada). One of the features is that you can plug in possible scenarios and see how it will affect (effect? never know which) your credit score.

Some people don't like it, some do. It is free.

o

Evaf , thank you! I will check out credit karma. The only negative things on each of our credit reports are a few medical bills. Yes we do use loans ( like I said my husband likes to change cars every year... oh, and i have a new student loan, graduated nursing school last year!) And we are looking to refinance our home, so that will be a new loan. The guy at lending tree calledafter we were apapproved and said he was puzzled by the low scores, because they have people with scores of 725 or better that have don't have credit histories as good as ours. He said that they have a department that specializes in fixing credit scores, and they are going to look at ours because they shouldn't be this low. We will see if he calls back, because the last one didn't. That's why I asked the question here. Evaf, i thank you. Yours was a very helpful response.

Kirkhall, I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive, but I did not find your response helpful at all.

o

Evaf , thank you! I will check out credit karma. The only negative things on each of our credit reports are a few medical bills. Yes we do use loans ( like I said my husband likes to change cars every year... oh, and i have a new student loan, graduated nursing school last year!) And we are looking to refinance our home, so that will be a new loan. The guy at lending tree calledafter we were apapproved and said he was puzzled by the low scores, because they have people with scores of 725 or better that have don't have credit histories as good as ours. He said that they have a department that specializes in fixing credit scores, and they are going to look at ours because they shouldn't be this low. We will see if he calls back, because the last one didn't. That's why I asked the question here. Evaf, i thank you. Yours was a very helpful response.

Kirkhall, I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive, but I did not find your response helpful at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here