Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alleged late-filing and penalty

Posted by rocio (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 23:38

I am wondering if anybody else have had the similar problem with IRS.

I received a notice saying that I owe a penalty due to late filing although I filed my tax on April 13.

When I received the first notice on June 1, I called IRS and was told that it was resolved. Then, I received another notice yesterday. Apparently, the first call I made did not do any good. I called IRS again yesterday. This time I faxed a copy of the certified mail receipt. I hope this matter will be resolved soon. I am still waiting for the rep to call me back.

IRS does not have the proof that I filed later than April 17. How can they say that I filed late?

Rocio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alleged late-filing and penalty

The DH is a CPA and you'd be suprised how often mistakes are made. IRS is just made up of people, who make mistakes. I would wait and see how it's resolved and be sure you get everything in writing. Don't count on a phone conversation. If you can't get it resolved, a tax accountant can often get it done. Good luck.

Gloria

o

If you want to continue to deal with this yourself, you can use the IRS taxpayer advocate's office.

They can be very helpful and clear a lot of red tape.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS taxpayer adovcate program

o

Gloria,
Thank you for your advice. I mailed a letter with a copy of my certified mail receipt yesterday. Hope they will get my message.

jlhug,
Thank you for the link. I will look into it!

Rocio

o

If you have a certified mail receipt, don't worry about it too much -- it's likely that they will fix it eventually.

Once upon a time I filed my taxes from California because that's where I was on tax day (I live in New Jersey). So they arrived a little late, even though the postmark was OK.

Several months later I got a computer-generated letter saying that I owed them $600 for filing late. I sent them back a letter saying that I had not filed late, that I had a witness who could testify that I had not filed late (the friend who mailed the return for me), and that if they wanted to claim otherwise, I would appreciate it if they could send me a copy of the envelope with the late postmark on it.

Two months later, I got another computer-generated form letter saying that I now owed them $600 plus interest because I hadn't paid the first time.

I sent them back a letter with a copy of their original letter and my reply, and saying that I would not respond to their second letter until they had responded to my first letter!

Two more months went by, and then I got a computer- generated letter saying that I owed them $0.00. I never did communicate directly with a human being...

o

We had the exact same situation. A copy of the certified mail receipt cleared things up, but it takes time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here