SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klchai

Home at stake in Will/Inheritance Battles With Family

KLChai
12 years ago

When my husband was an infant, he was taken into the home of an already elderly couple (65-70 years old) a judge granted them legal guardianship, but they never legally adopted him. Due to many challenges from birth, he is autistic and has been cared for by this couple his entire life. They have always helped him out financially which has caused lots of hostility/jealousy from the the couple's children. He sees them as his grandparents and now he takes care of them (laundry, cleaning house, maintaining vehicles, etc.) as much as they have always taken care of him. Five years ago, they bought him his own house to live in, paid in full. When their children found this out they banded together to make sure that the house is taken from us as soon as their parents have died. As well as any other inheritance. We are a constant part of their lives, we talk to them on the phone everyday, and check in on them about every three days. Their children don't call them or return their phone calls. But, their children truly believe that they deserve to take our house away from us when their parents have passed on. They will cause a great deal of legal trouble for us. The elderly couple believe that their children will honor their wishes that my husband and I keep the house they bought, and refuse to believe that they will take it from us. They refuse to make a revised Will that names my husband has recipiant of our home. They cannot be persuaded to do this. We have tried to no avail. However, we and other members of the family know different. Their children plan to claim that when they bought this house, they were mentally incompetant and coerced by my husband and I. Which is certainly not true at all, but how can we prove that in court?

My question is: If my husband has our house put in his name, and made public record, would it be possible that their children will be able to take it from us? Can they try to use the courts to claim that the house should not belong to us, but to them?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions