Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
child tax credit refund???

Posted by Momma_Bird_OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 03 at 18:24

I've heard bits and pieces on the news...what is this? Is it only for low income, or does any US taxpayer with kids get $400 refund check per kid this year? Sorry to sound so ignorant, I rarely pay attention to the news because it just brings me down.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: child tax credit refund???

Actually, the only people excluded in the plan right now are low income. The current plan raises the child deduction $400, so if you have kids, you most likely have a refund in your future.

o

That's right, the low income are excluded, my sister could definately use it right now for her 2 boys and they didn't make enough $$$$ last year!

o

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know when the checks are supposed to come out?

o

My brother got a letter today telling him that his refund would soon be on the way. I'll bet you'll get one soon as well. They are probably doing this on a "rolling" basis the way they did those other refunds a couple years back.

Ken

o

Momma Bird: I saw your question on the other forum, and posted there as well. The IRS website will tell you if you are getting a check.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where's My Advance Child Tax Credit?

o

Low income?? The following is from the IRS website:

Not All Are Eligible
Some taxpayers with children are not eligible for the advance payment, including:

The Child Tax Credit begins to phase out for taxpayers with modified adjusted gross income above:

$110,000, if married filing jointly
$55,000, if married filing separately, or
$75,000, for all others.

I don't think this is low income!

o

trypic - thanks for posting the link! We do qualify (praise God) and our check was supposedly mailed Aug 1. Yipee!

o

Better reread the law kittiemom - there is also a minimum salary cap.

o

The refund is an early payment of the increased child tax credit you deduct when you do your 2003 taxes next year. It is not being paid to people who do not "pay" taxes.. ie, their "refund" is actually "credit".

If you don't get the max per child ($400) but when you do your taxes, find your income has increased enough to get the max deduction,you can get it when you do your taxes in Jan. If you shouldn't have received it and do anyway, you get to keep the $$. Remember the headaches and confusion caused by the last tax rebate?! Keep your letter with your tax stuff! You'll need it in January!

I got mine Saturday 7/26, my sister got a letter this past Friday saying hers was coming, but she hasn't received it yet. They can use it, surely... their income is above the threshold to get earned income credit, but really too low to support a family of 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here