SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

When to refinance mortgage?

rivkadr
15 years ago

My husband and I have about 16 months left on a 5 year interest only ARM. Now, before you get on your high horse and start lecturing about subprime mortgages, buying more house than you can afford, blah, blah, blah, let me say that my husband and I got this mortgage fully aware of what we were getting.

When we got the mortgage, we were aware of the fact that both of us would be making a good deal more money within the next few years. So while a 30-year mortgage was just out of our reach at the time we bought the house, it's something we can easily afford now. (should we have waited to buy a house? Maybe. But again, we went in the whole time with the plan of refinancing eventually, and I frankly wouldn't give up the last few years of owning it. I'm happy with the decision we made.)

Unfortunately, I feel like we may have missed the boat as far as refinancing goes -- I wish we had done it even just a few months ago. Obviously, I'd like to get the best deal we can as far as interest rates...and I know none of you have crystal balls, but what would you do in my shoes? As I said, we have another 16 months left on our ARM -- do we wait and see if rates go down, or do we go ahead and refinance now, when the rates are only kind of so-so? What's your guess as to where things are going to go?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions